Thread: Would you let a three year old watch...

Default Would you let a three year old watch...

Toy Story II? I borrowed it the other day, and I'm not sure if it would be too much for her or not. She's pretty sheltered in her TV watching. So far she's watched Winnie the Pooh (the original stories. I hate the new ones.:mad: ) and Mary Poppins.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions for nice shows for little ones? She's big anough to follow story line, to some extent, but she's pretty sensitive to scary things. (as was I as a child. couldn't watch any of the scary "witches" in the Disney movies without hiding. )
    By the way, we don't watch movies very often, but as it's heading into colder weather and darker evenings here (I know, not by you.) we would like to occasionally have a cozy family night with popcorn and a movie, etc. and would like something that we could watch together.
    Thanks!

Have you watched Toy Story II? I've only seen the first one and that was pretty harmless.
    I would say let her watch it. I know an 18 month old that watches all those types of movies and loves them!
    I can't think of any other movies ATM, too early in the morning for me!

Toy Story 1 would be ok....Nemo would be a great one too. What about musical Dvd's Like Hi 5? or the Wiggles?

of course, Nemo... I love Nemo!!
    how about the Disney classics, Cinderella, 7 dwarfs etc.

I would let Harry watch it, he loves Nemo and Chicken Little and Madagascar and all those movies.

My DD's first trip to the movies was for 'Thomas and the Magic Railroad" which absolutely enthralled her! Also, most of the older Disney animations (Cinderella, Snow White, etc) are pretty good, but beware the newer ones as they deal with more graphic themes (ie there's a scene in Pocahontas where someone gets shot and they all but show it happening). Do you have film ratings in Canada? We always went strictly with the "G" rated movies until she was well into primary school and could deal with some "PG" material...
    :-)

LOL I used to babysit a little boy & at three he could recite most of the words in Titanic!!

What about Little Mermaid, Bug's Life or any of the Rugrats movies?

Toy story 1 and 2 are my 3 year olds all time favourite movies, he's buzz mad!
    Dp and i always watch the movies we buy/rent for the boys before we let them watch just incase they have some inopropriate bits, i always skip the first part of Brother bear because i think it's a bit scary for them

I think its a personal choice. Paris has always watched toy story and toy story 2 from a very young age. But she's also watched labyrinth, dark crystal, nightmare before christmas etc so We've been more broad. Whereas for me the things I monitor are shows with teen content, like the teen shows on nickelodeon (things concerning boys and relationships etc).

So really it should be based on what your comfortable with, what your child is comfortable with iykwim?

*hugs*
    Cailin

Cailin, Maddy & I love Dark Crystal...

Maddy's fave movie is Dirty Dancing....

I highly recommend Finding Nemo!!! That is a great for one for parents and kids!!

My 3 year old DD loves Bugs life, shrek (1 and 2 - so does mum - LOL), mary poppins (which you mentioned). We put sound of music on the other day too .......to which she procaimed 'mummy, mary poppins is in sound da music' - quite clever i thought !

Mackenzie loves toy story 1 but not 2 - 'I don't like zergy mummy' is her response to Toy story 2. She asks to watch the 'nice buzzy' meaning #1. She is buzz and woody mad! She has just started asking me - when buzz and woody are fighting and rolling around at the petrol station what they are doing. I tell her they are just playing and having a roll around. I don't want to tell her buzz is punching woody in the face! You could try something like Fifi or something like that. There are heaps of little kids movies out there but you do need to be selective and choose ones that are right for your little one and follow your belief in what you think is right for them. (ie guns/fights/yelling etc). Even Angelina Ballerina has yelling/crankiness in it!

Jumping in here, i agree totally nikbrad with angellina ballerina....My DD loves angelina ballerina (and often prances around the house like she is !). I was amazed the other day when it was on the spoilt brat like nature this ballerina mouse has. I think i was dusting or something in another room, and i was subconsciously listening to the DVD. I had to stop what i was doing and come in and see for myself what this spoilt, rude, self centred mouse was going on about. Its been put to the back of the DVD cupboard now.....no spoilt mouslings wanted in my house thanks very much !!!

T loves toy story 2 he got it for his 2nd birthday he looked a bit scared the first time he watched it but we just sat with him and explained what was happening best we could

Well, she watched it, and mostly she loved it. She cried though when the girl doll sings the song about having a little girl who loved her. (I was surprised that she caught on to that, really.) But for the most part, it was a good one for her, and I'll let her see it again if she wants to. My mom still has Milo and Otis from when we were little, and I think that might be one she might like too. Although, I think there are a few "tense" moments when Milo almost gets eaten by a bear. Maybe I'm being too cautious, but she is already fairly nervous and sensitive, and wakes up frequently at night, and I don't want to have to get up with her more because of nightmares!
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies! I'd be happy to hear any more recommendations too!

Madeline videos are an easy watch and they rhyme too. And Arthur, the aardvark, have you seen that ? It's pretty easy going. And Thomas the Tank is fun because you can imitate the voices, put on an English accent.

I think the start of Nemo might be scary for some children.

When I was ten, and my brother 12 - my mother took us to see the Shining and Jaws !