Thread: Wrapping in hot weather

Fee Guest

Default Wrapping in hot weather

I've just started to wrap Cooper again for his day time sleeps (I haven't been wrapping since he was a newborn). Anyway it seems to be helping him sleep longer than 1 hour which is great.

My only concern is wrapping in hot weather. At the moment I am using muslin, having Cooper wear only his nappy and I also put the ceiling fan on. I'm still worried!

Is muslin the coolest thing to wrap with?

From my experiecne of living in Darwin (tropical climate....a constant humid 32'c) muslin is the go.....nappy, singlet and then a thin and stretchy muslin wrap......

Fire Fly Guest

Not sure if 'Babies Galore' are state wide Fee but i found their cotton wraps really good. We live in a shed so it gets quiet hot but those cotton wraps give enough air circulation that DS doesnt get to hot and steamy.
    There nice and soft to so after a wash they dont feel like a towel that hasnt been washed with softner. Kwim.
    DS is now 9 months and they still fit him fine to, even the length. His little toes are still covered.

Yep, I agree Lucy. Muslins great. Cool, easy to wash and quick to dry. I've wrapped Zain in muslin wraps since he was born, just with warmer clothes underneath.

but still takes his wrap to bed
    Awww......Olivia too....chucks a tanty when I insist on washing the grotty grey thing!!

In the really hot weather, you can also dampen the wrap a little bit - not with cold water, just a nice temp like you'd bathe your baby in.

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch
    I do know what you mean though, it just seems so hot to wrap them in anything huh?
    Yeah that's what I was thinking ... it sort of looks awful to be swaddled up so tightly when it's 30 degrees plus.

But I guess muslin is fine and thanks rayray for the tip about wetting the cloth.

where do you get muslin wraps from, i havn't seen them before

If you sew, go to spotlight and have a look. I just bought 1.5m and there are heaps of designs. I just hemmed it and use the whole lot.

Debbie Lee Guest

Fiona - Gabby was swaddled until she was 10 months old (I know!! Sheesh!). Fortunately for me, because she was a March baby we didn't have the issue of warm weather for very long.
    I have heard that the muslin wraps are meant to be cooler. Another thing that I did was use a single bed, flat sheet. I'd strip her down to her nappy and singlet then wrap her in the sheet. Seemed to work a treat! We also had an oscillating fan in her room on really hot nights just to keep the air moving around the room and keep her a bit cooler.
    We're still in sleeping bags (she's now 18 months old) so I have the joy of trying to get rid of them before summer hits! It's a never-ending battle!! LOL