Thread: Wrapping - when is it time to stop?

Default Wrapping - when is it time to stop?

Ethan is 5 months old and is still wrapped. I wrap him with his arms down because if he gets his arms up to his mouth he knocks the dummy out and then he cries out for his dummy.

My question is when should I stop wrapping him? He does like to be wrapped but I'm wondering if he would prefer to have his hand in his mouth. (I actually think he would like the dummy and hand in the mouth!)

Any suggestions of how to slowly lose the wrap or should I just ditch it straight away?

He'll probably have trouble sleeping without it. Just loosen it a bit & leave his hands out. See how he likes that first. Slowly loosen it more.
    You could try going cold turkey & see how it goes, but if he's used to it, it may not go down well.

Lynn - I love this topic cos it caused me sooooooo much angst with my DS!!!

I felt on the outer with my mums group cos my son was still wrapped at 5 months - like a little secret - but he seemed to love it - but yes started to wriggle a bit more at this age.

I tried and tested slowly and loosely unwrapping him, a complete failure - and he was wrapped until 11 months old - of course no where near as firmly as in the beginning - he seemed to need it to help him go to sleep KWIM??

I know I haven't helped in the unwrapping, but just threw an idea into the mix that you gotta go with what works for each bubba!!

Good luck
    Sam

gee, we wrapped until 8.5months. Hands down like you. She slept better. She still doesn't put her hands in her mouth.

Thanks Sam, Kim & Skye, I guess there isn't really a need to stop if he is ok sleeping with it. I just didn't know when I should stop. I had pictures of a 10 year old boy still being wrapped!! I guess he will let me know when he is ready (or is that wishful thinking). Usually in the morning both hands are up around his face (or over his head sometimes) so he does get loose.

Sam - you are right, I just have to follow what he wants.....not what I want! LOL!

Lynn he'll let you know. Darcy went from wrapping to sleeping on her belly. At first I was horrified, but she still does it now. She would just get unwrapped and turn herself over.

I believe "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it" Charlie was wrapped til around 7months & it was when he was ready. As a Mum I figure what ever works for everyone & gets us sleep etc then that's what we do....so if it is not an issue then why not stick with it?? I do admitt is sometimes hard to wean them from this & I now wonder if I'll even wrap next time around as it's just another habbit to break. Charlie was ready when he could move around & he much prefers to sleep on his tummy...so once we let him go free LOL he just slept on his tummy from day one prob better than before. I'm guessing if I had let him he always would have slept on his tummy. As for the wrap we gave it to him & he would cuddle it & still does now. I guess he had some form of attachment to it, so still held it close. Best part is, he will take any wrap in the cupboard.

My only word of caution is that when he no longer wants to be wrapped, you may have a tough time transitioning him. Our DS loved being wrapped, so we stuck with it. But this week he has suddenly decided he HATES it - so no room for a gentle transition - we are going cold turkey & it's really tough. At least if you start a bit sooner (before they HATE it) you can make a gradual change - eg. slowly loosen the wrap, or just wrap one arm.

Thanks Ezz, that is what I was worried about and therefore why I asked the question. While Ethan still enjoys being wrapped now there may be one day he decides that he doesn't want to and like you it is hard work. Thanks again.

Ezz is right - it will be a bugger to train him out of it, but then any change in a baby's routine throws them for six in my experience LOL!

Ollie is still wrapped at 6.5 months, and showing no sighs of not needing it.....

I would try not to stress on it too much, every baby adapts to change differently & most adapt easier when they are ready.