Thread: Yet another thread about cots .....

Default Yet another thread about cots .....

Howdy all.... yes, another thread about cots!! Haha!!!
    My DS has been waking every one or two hours a night (for most of his life) and since being pregnant again, I'm getting really really really tired. We have figured out that he mostly wakes up because of bumping his head against the end of the cot. Even when we drag him down to the other end when he wakes up, he ALWAYS shuffles his way back up to hit his head within 2 hours.
    I was telling my sister about it, and she said that her son did it too, and stopped as soon as they moved him to a big bed. He started sleeping through the night for the first time.
    So I'm wondering if this is a sign he is ready for a big bed? I think we were planning on getting him into a big bed after the baby has born (cos we have a bassinette for the newborn) cos he will only be 18 months when the new rabbit makes its appearance.
    So I'm after a bit of advice if people think it would actually stop him from waking up or if he would just continue to go up the bed until he busted through the wall or something.. (old house = thin walls )
    Any help/comments/advice muchly appreciated!!!
    Thanks
    Mel

Hi! My first DS used to bump his head at the top of his cot too. It's probably naughty, but I ended up using a cot bumper to soften the "bumps" and I also started putting him to bed at the top of his cot. This meant he couldn't wriggle very far so didn't wake himself up when he hit the top. This is probably terrible advice lol!

We put him into a toddler bed when he was nearly two and at the start he wriggled around in it like he did in his cot. We'd find him asleep up the wrong end sometimes , but eventually he learned to stay up the top! I also used a bumper in his toddler bed.

HTH

Had same prob here, and did exactly the same - bought a cot bumper. I should think the age of your son it should be okay.....

Yeah, DS does the same thing here too. It isn't waking him up, but it is waking me up because he gives it a pretty good crack! Sometimes in his sleep he will get on all fours and rock back and forward hitting his head, but he is sound asleep. Strange child. In his defence though, he stops as soon as he finds his dummy...I wonder if it is baby version of sleep walking, which his dad does?

anways, I digress....I did the same thing. Bought a cot bumper, but got an AirFlow one, with the added intention of catching any dummies that might try to find their way out of the bed in the middle of the night.

Has softened the knocks to the head somewhat. I am actually dreading putting him in a bigger bed for this very reason, I don't know how on earth he is going to stay in it becuase if it weren't for the sides of his cot he would crawl right out of the silly thing in his sleep a few times a night.

Thanks guys.. looks like a bumper will need to be purchased!!!! I was worried about putting him in a new bed too, cos he moves around so much - all over the place - that he'll fall out!!! haha!!