Thread: You know that episode of the Simpsons...

Default You know that episode of the Simpsons...

...where there's that little snippet of the babies at a music festival, passing around a dummy like it's a dutchie, having a few 'tokes' and getting all blissed out?

DD1 is like a total crackhead when it comes to dummies!! We took them away from her months and months ago, and she was great - cried once or twice but never had trouble sleeping without it, we haven't looked back.
    Now, however, she's taken to yanking DD2's 'muckie' (DH's childhood word for dummy) and its chain off her shirt and running off to her room with it... where she will curl up in a ball on her bed, hiding her face, and just suck it for hours on end if we don't go and take it off her. Honestly, she's like a pot-smoking teenager, with the secrecy and guilty look on her face when I figure out what she's doing and take the dummy away! It's so weird!

Does anybody else's toddler/older child do this? What can I do about it? Should I bother doing anything about it, or just let her have her fun? It's just hilarious in a way, DH saw her run off to her room last night and when he checked on her 15 minutes later she was all happy and quiet and kind of dopey, he was like, 'She's like a junkie with it!' and I think it freaked him out a bit lol

We don't have this problem, but I reckon you should videotape her doing it

rhyb Guest

DS is and we took the DDs dummies away and sneaky monster had a secret stash! Were still finding him with them 2 months later...

^ Bahahaa yeah DD1 had that, too!! I think we've FINALLY managed to get them all (she used Tommee Tippee dummies, DD2 won't have anything but Avent so I know which ones belong to DD1 lol), she had them stashed in drawers, cupboards, under beds, in the dog kennel lol... gaaah! They're sneaky little things! Just saw DD1 standing in front of the TV all zoned out, I called her name and she goes, 'Yeshhh?' and wouldn't turn her face toward me lol... muckie again! Grrr!

A friend of mine took the dummies away when her DD was 3. She's 9 now & they still can't have a dummy in the house, coz the DD gets this wierd urge to go suck on it.
    She avoided long term dummy use with her DS(2) for this reason!

I have this problem too. DD1 self weaned from her dummy at 10 months. When dd2 came along (dd1 was 19 months) we got the dummy out and dd1 decided it was hers. So after about a week of her stealing the dum, I just got rid of it for dd2 as well. If dd1 sees other kids dummies, she pretty keen to nick them and have a go! Shes now 3 and still is facinated. She even tries to use the dolls dummy or pretends the bath plug is one!!! So am guessing that dd3 when she comes along will not even know what a dummy is!!!

My DD3 does this... She will steal DD2 dummy and put her self to bed! I'm hoping it's a phase and she'll grow out of it...

DS1 used to do this, when DS2 still had a dummy. Funny thing is that DS1 refused the dummy point blank no matter how many times he was offered as a baby - go figure.