Thread: Youngest age for bunk beds?

Default Youngest age for bunk beds?

I am just wondering what age you put your kids into a bunk bed (or would you put your child into a bunk bed)?

We will be space deprived once number 3 comes along and we've got a bunk already so I was toying with the idea of putting DD and DS in the same room.

DD will be 3.5 yrs (top bunk) and DS 18mths (bottom bunk) when they'd be roomed together. I was thinking of buying a trundle bed but DH seems to really trust DD's climbing ability. And yes, she has been able to climb ladders for about 6 mths (at the park etc), but I'm not entirely sold on the idea. Maybe its a case of giving it a try?

I don't think there is a "legal" age for it, it depends on the children. I have the low line bunk beds from Bunkers (they're fabulous) so if you're space deprived, they're definitely one option to look at. And if she falls out, she doesn't quite have so far to fall.

I put mine in bunks at 6 and 4. But I had the space in my former house, just not in my current one. Definitely check out Bunkers. They also have awesome storage options.

GOod luck.

I don't see a problem with it. I think my DD was about 4 when she went into a bunk bed.

Yeah I was going to mention bunkers as well. I think its different when they are low line ones, not as dangerous looking. We have to put ours in bunks as well, and they aren't too much older than yours. We haven't done it yet, but I think when #4 comes along, we will have to.

we need to get some for our boys who will be nearly 10 and 3 by the time we get them and when looking at them the other day they had signs on them saying not for children younger than 6 (top bunk) but I don't know how legal that is. I know there has been moves to get bunks banned for young children because of the dangers of jumping/falling off/choking but I don't know what has been done about that so the signs we saw could have been to cover the ass of the shop JIC your kid did hurt/kill themselves (sadly that has happened). But that said, I think it is up to the parents to use their commonsense and decide whether a bunk is the right thing for their kids. We would still buy them even if our kids were younger simply because bunks are the only option we have for the boys because of their room size and design.

ETA - just did a google search on it and found this info

Bunk beds are sleeping platforms raised high off the ground that usually consist of one or two beds. They are designed for adults or children to use and often come with a ladder. Although the suitable minimum age to use a bunk bed can vary greatly depending on a child's maturity and development, using the upper bed or a raised bed is generally not recommended for children under nine years old and definitely not recommended for children under six years old.
    Serious injuries can occur if the bunk bed is poorly made or is used inappropriately. Children can suffer:

• concussions and fractures if they fall from a raised/upper bed or while trying to climb up or downfalls are the most common source of injury and can be fatal
    • strangulation or accidental hanging if children have their head or neck caught between gaps in and around the bunk bed, or if clothing is snagged on parts of the bed that stick out (protrusions)
    • injuries to their heads, arms and legs if these become trapped within gaps in the bunk bed structure.

So it looks like there is some truth to it, though it is not illegal, just not recommended. It came from this website http://www.productsafety.gov.au/cont.../itemId/974795

Hi

We bought some from funish dot com dot au - online furniture store delivers around aust but we went to their warehouse, and got gorgeous wooden bunk for $469 and 2 mattresses for $300. Julia is 4 in Sept (top bunk) and Tara is 2 just now and they both love the bunks. We gave Julia the option if she doesnt feel safe going up and down the ladder she can have our spare single bed that used to be her bed, however she wanted the top bunk and has no issues at all climbing up and down and loves it. We let her try and see how she felt. On the instructions it says that the safest age is 6yrs and above but Julia is fine and feels safe and we make sure we are there everytime she goes up and down the ladder. The safety rails are inbuilt up the top. For Tara's bed as she just moved to a new bed from a cot we have a safety rail up for her as the bottom bunk doesnt come with inbuilt safety rail, and she is fine too and loves it. If you want any info or pic of our bunks let me know. (heaps cheaper thank bunkers we balked at the price of theirs) have to say there is nothing wrong with the quality of wood for our bunks, we made sure the quality was good as we wouldnt have bought it otherwise. The ones at Fantastic Furniture are not as solid. Hope this helps

ETA. Tara does stick her head through the ladder down the bottom and I always tell her its not safe and move her. Also I made sure that both ends of the bed are all wood panels not slatted like a cot so her arms/head etc cant get caught.
    Last edited by *Belle*; August 1st, 2010 at 10:33 AM.

My DD has been in a loft bed since just after she was 3. That said, she's a 'sensible' child. She's never even tried anything dumb on it and it has quite a high railing all the way around it.
    DS on the other hand is a whole different kettle of fish and could scale said bunk ladder at 7 months old. He's a total lunatic and I cannot ever see him being allowed to sleep on a top bunk.

I put mine in a bunk bed at 4. She loved it.

My ex then sent me every article he could lay his hands on about the number of deaths from bunk beds (this is the same man who bought her a crappy, dangerous scooter with safety knee and helmet whatnots several sizes too big) and harped on about it for ages.

She stayed in the bunk bed