Thread: yukky stuff in eyes! :s

Colleen Guest

Question yukky stuff in eyes! :s

Jaykob has an upper airway infection at the moment, which doesnt seem to be getting any better, he is on antibiodics & panadol....

Then about 2 hours ago his eyes started pretty much leaking .... as quick as i can wipe away this whitish/ yellow puss coming from the inner corners, its back & its constant... is this an infection or linked to him not being well?

Any ideas? Im thinking of calling that nurse on call thing, but thought id check out here firsT

TIA

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Hi Colleen, sounds like he may have conjunctivitis which is most likely caused by him rubbing his snot from his nose to his eyes or just the overall infection

Conjuctivitis is really highly contagious, so I would suggest putting saline solution on a cotton ball and only using each ball once wipe his eye from the inside to the outside of his eye. You have to be really careful about washing your hands after you do this. You really should probably take him back to your GP for antibiotic drops for his eyes and you need to keep applying them for a good couple of days after the infection has passed.

Another way to tell is if the whites of his eyes have a pinkish tinge to them, this is another indicator of the infection.

I hope this helps, and goodluck!

Yep, sounds like conjunctivitus........make sure you wash YOUR hands after dealing with Jaykob's eyes....it is REALLY contagious.

There is also a cream/ointment you can get from the GP......I have found it easier to smear it on rather than they eye drops....

I would say Conjunctivitus too. I had this as a kid and accidently poked my mum in the eye after i rubbed mine and she got it too, that's how contagous it is. Best to go see the GP first thing in the morning.

Yup I'd say conjunctivitis too. It rages this time of year and I know of 3 cases already at Noah's pre school last week. Noah gets it really easily too, seems the minute eh is run down or gets a cold he gets it

Don't need to tell you again to wash your hands Just hope that Jaykob is feeling much better soon. Oh and the eye drops will have it cleared up in no time.

I'd agree that it's conjunctivitis - I used to get it heaps as a kid. This might seem like an obvious suggestion, but I always found that sitting in a dark or dimly lit room would ease the uncomfortableness. Hope this helps!

Colleen Guest

thanks everyone, took him to the chemist due to the time of night and he said yeah it was, the gunk has sorta gone green but he gave me eye drops and i will head to the docs tommorrow...

My eyes are a bit itchy, is that an early sign?

I have no idea how to stop him rubbing his snot in his eyes, he sorta rubs a fist over his nose and then rubs his whole face lol

poor lil bugger is in the wars, he looks so grubby with his snotty nose, puss eyes and bump on his head

thanks again everyone

another vote for conjunct here - if you're bfing breastmilk clears it up really well, we had to wipe the girls eyes out when they got it at 8 days old with salt water at each fed then do the drops - helped a lot with clearing it up.

Colleen Guest

yep hes breastfeeding more than ever while hes sick, hes off the solids and almost back to 3 feeds a day! (so much for weaning) but thankyou for the hint Sam

Oh Yeah Colleen, I should've thought to suggest that. Yet another thing breastmilk is good for I'm sure Jaykob looks delightful, even with his snotty nose, pussy eyes and lump on his head

Big hugs to Jaykob.