Thread: 6month old teething & sleep issues

Default 6month old teething & sleep issues

Hi All,

My 6.5 month old little girl is teething at the moment plus she has a runny nose (doesn't help). She has 3 teeth and more are on the way as her fingers are in her mouth all the time and drools like i've never seen before. For the past week her nightly sleep pattern has gone completely out of whack. She wakes every 3-4 hours and i give her a bottle, she cries in her sleep which of course wakes her, i need to rock her to sleep and she fights it. Does teething affect sleep? SHe also sleeps minimal hours during the day too, but it's the night sleep that i can't handle. If its not teething is she developing some bad behaviour? She used to be a wonderful sleeper.
    I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Yes it's most likely the teeth which is affecting her sleep. My DD is 5 months old and has never slept through the night by herself (due to colic).. but now that's going away I'm having to deal with the teething, so she doesn't want to sleep!

It's so frustrating isn't it? You try rocking them for a few minutes but they stretch out and wriggle and just won't settle!!

My DD has only just now started sleeping in her cot during the day, but won't sleep longer than 1.5-2 hours during the night (unless she sleeps with us) hehe.. so it could be a lot worse! GOOD LUCK

Sehra...I hear you!!!!

Felix is exactly the same....but 3 weeks younger than Ela.

He was a fantastic sleeper until Christmas when he started this process of teething. Since then, he has gone from sleeping a minimum of 8 hours straight (and regularly 10 hours!!!) to waking every 2-3 hours, wanting a feed...he will then settle well but will be awake again in another 2-3 hours.

He's also got very clingy during the day...think it's also related to the 26 week wonder week developmental leap!!!

Like my Mum said to me, it's only a matter of weeks that this will last for...and remember 'this too will pass'....

All the best!

Yep. Definitely teeth. If you read my baby buddy thread you'll see we're all going through the same thing! My DD went from being an angel sleeper - down at 7.30 pm and not stirring until 8am - to a nightmare who will be seemingly fast asleep on me, but the second she hits the mattress she wakes up screaming (and screaming and screaming!). I'm sorry to say this seems to be a stage that comes and goes - Iz was like it around 6 months and then it passed, but at 9 months we're back there again n- definitely teething with my little girl - she has 3 through but looks like a mouthful waiting to breakthrough.

Good luck. Nothing I can suggest because to be honest, I think its just something we all have to survive. The only thing that has kept me sane is just accepting that it IS a stage, it will pass and just go with it - lots of cuddles and don't stress when your little one doesn't sleep the way they used to.

I hate to say this to you (and hope it doesnt happen to you!!) but when Emily started teething she would wake every 1-2 hours most nights, then 2-3 hours on other nights, this was when she was about 7 months old. I thought once she got her first tooth she'd settle back down, Now she's just over 10 months, has three teeth and i STILL get up either at 2am or 4am but only once or twice. Im just hoping these teeth all come at once so we can get back to sleep!!
    Good luck!

Oh Boy does it lol my 14 mth old son has another tooth coming through and he is very clingly and is hard to get to sleep at night. but its teething. Try some Bonjlia great stuff and some baby panadol can help at night

Yep it usually always affects their sleeping but bubs should go back to what they normally do once it's over. Just give some relief & try to keep the same routine & so on & should get back to normal once the pain has gone away.

I must say i've found nurofen much better than panadol.

Thanks All.
    I have bought Bonjela and giving her regular Panadol to help ease the pain. Her sleep has started to settle back to normal even though she has now adopted a sleep at 8.30pm and wake at 9.30pm and be awake til midnight stint! I hope to break that cycle in the next few nights (fingers crossed). She is only putting her fingers to one side of her mouth, so i'm guessing another teeth is to arrive on that side. She has 3 in total, so #4 will pop out soon!
    Thanks for all your advice.