Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Addison is 6weeks old and LESS than her birth weight..

It's really important to make sure that she is always offered the breast before a comp feed. Otherwise your supply will suffer, and it will be very difficult to get rid of the comps. If you need to comp three feeds, that's fine, but make sure she has a BF first, and then offer the bottle. So 9 or so BFs, and 3 comp feeds, if that makes sense? I would be more inclined to do 2 or 3 smaller comps, rather than one big one. So you're giving the same amount each day, but in more frequent, smaller feeds.

When using bottles, make sure you use a very slow teat, and try to pace the feed out, to mimic a breastfeed. She doesn't need to guzzle it, you can take more control over the bottle feeds to make sure that doesn't happen. She is still young enough to struggle with nipple confusion, so it's really important to take measures to lessen that.

If you are giving top ups it's a good idea to express, and give the EBM to your DD, instead of formula, if possible. Don't be worried about the amount you express though.

While there may be some variances, it's important to note that young breastfed babies should be pooing at least once a day. Yes, as they get older their poos can become more infrequent, but early on it is a very big indicator of how much milk they're getting.

when she was born, she didn't do a meconium poo until day 2 almost 3. then the next poo was day 8.

so it was over a week b4 she even transitioned pooed.

she'd very windy though, fluffs all the time, and o my lord.. they stink.. peel paint of the walls stench..

i'll keep plodding, so the BF first and offer he formula after that.

What is the best formula to beef up bubs?? I bought Karicare standard as they didn't have any gold on the shelves, but does the gold beef them up more?

Gold does not make any difference, except to your hip pocket . It also can cause constipation, and for my DS made his reflux heaps worse.

Good luck, it's very hard to getting your baby to gain weight when you're not 100% sure why they haven't been. I think you have a good plan, giving extra feeds will really help her to 'wake up' and start demanding more. Just make sure the breast is readily available when she does want it!

If you don't see some improvement this week I'd be employing the services of an LC to work out exactly what's going on.

Really smelly urine isn't good, wees should be pale (not yellow staining on the nappy) and innoffensive smelling, so she really doesn't sound like she's getting enough. I agree with Janie, give her the breast first all the time. There isn't any one particular formula that will beef her up - different formulas will work differently for different babies - I had 2 of mine on the same one and one was a huge weight gainer and the other wasn't but bare in mind that compared to BM any formula will be harder to digest and the gold ones are particularly rich - which isn't necessarily a good thing and could possibly give her gut/digestion issues.

RayRay, there are always exceptions, but generally infrequent poos in a baby is a sign of not enough milk. In your case this might not have been true, but it's really important in a public forum like this to make sure that people are aware that it can be very serious if not looked into. This isn't to scare anyone, and MumofMany, you are doing all the right things so I'm not suggesting otherwise), but someone else might read this and think that their baby is ok when they are not. It's always best to err on the side of caution when it comes to babies' health and to make sure that medical information is correct.

MumofMany, I am not surprised to read that your DD had jaundice. This is very common in jaundiced babies - the good news is that once her milk intake increases she will feed properly and the weight will go on. It's just getting the milk into her to start her feeding. I agree with Janie - I'd be increasing the bfs and comp feeding after a feed - with EBM if you can, but otherwise formula. If you can get her feeding more than 8 times in 24 hours I think you will see an improvement really soon.

Good on you for doing so well. You must be one busy mum!

Mumofmany - I haven't got anything much to offer, other than to say you are a true Supermum. 4 kids, including a nb, a hubbie that's away during the week and little ones who don't sleep through for you. And going back to work as well!! If I lived in Brisbane I'd happily volunteer to give you some babysitting time so you could catch some naps whilst your littlest one slept, but I'm not, so I can't, but the virtual babysitting is there I hope that little Addison starts to pile on the weight for you really quickly, so that you don't have to worry so much.
    Big

Thanks guys! I did a weekend of BF and comp and I cerntainly can see a difference. She is more alert, has given me a poo a day and is generally a different bub.. poor wee bugger was starving.

She still BF and then having a full formula feed as well.. makes me think that I may not be producing much at all for her to scoff a 150ml straight after a BF.

I'll have a chat to my doc tomorrow and see what's the best plan of attack.

And MantaRay, I totally agree.. it is great to use forums to give you some ideas.. but ALWAYS best to check with your GP or Pead..

Addison is being weighed tomorrow, but i'm sure she's put weight on just by looking at her. I'll let u all know tomorrow!!

Great to hear that things seem to be moving in the right direction for your little one! Good luck for the weigh in and I hope the doctor has some positive feedback on where to go from here!

hun, at least you didn't go into denial like I did. I think you have done a great job so far.

If you do want to go back to FT BFing, go and see an LC. Now that she is awake enough to actively feed, things will only improve. I am very proud of you hun.

woohoo!! she put on 600g in a week..

PHEW!!

very happy.. she'll get bigger and healthier by the day now!

Wow, that's a huge gain!!

That's a great gain and I'm sure you feel so much better about what you're doing now, but don't fret if she goes back to having smaller gains, because ATM she is playing catch up, but she will possibly level out to smaller, but regular gains each week.

Hi,

I will second Trillian's advice for taking a probiotic (friendly bacteria) supplement whilst breastfeeding- as it not only boosts supply, but it also improves the quality of and immune boosting properties of your milk.
    Check out the article on InLiven here on belly belly. This supplement is brilliant - it contains numerous strains of lactobacillus freindly bacteria (responsible for killing bad bacteria, eliminating toxins, food digestion, etc) as well as 26 organic wholefoods.
    It comes in a powder form, which you can just mix with water or juice first thing in the morning. Once opened it needs to be kept in the fridge. Most health food stores sell this, otherwise you can contact the company who make it - ONEgroup.

Also - if you are looking for a great coffee substitute - ask about dandelion granules at your local health food store. They smell and taste very similar to coffee - its quite remarkable. If you wish to try the decaff - make sure you buy organic decaff as the conventional decaff coffee brands use solvents to take the caffeine out of the coffee - not good for you or bub (again- organic coffee avail from health food stores).

Best wishes.

XX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12