Thread: babies/kidswho sleep easily after being put in cot, how did u achive that pls.

Default babies/kidswho sleep easily after being put in cot, how did u achive that pls.

babies/kidswho sleep easily after being put in cot, how did u achive that pls.

i know babies children vary
    and i know some put their babies children to sleep with rocking, in arms pusher rocker,with or without alot of crying , with or without a dummy,

but i wonder those who hav e achived babies or children who sleep easily after being put in a cot with or without a bit of patting, how di dyou acheive that pls?

DD1 was an easy child with regards to sleeping, we always just put her in when she showed tired signs, she would have her dummy and sook for no more than 5min if she was sick etc it didn't work and she needed to be cuddled to sleep.

DD2 has been a PITA, during the day she shows tired signs so we put her into bed, she has a crochet blanket that she cuddles and she will cry for say 5min and then she's asleep (was only lasting 15-30min originally), since starting solids she is sleeping up to or oven an hr now.
    Before bed for the night is a completely different story, she screams the house down, at night she is fed to sleep, then i give her a cuddle for about 10min and then she goes into the cot and gets a bit of a pat on the bum until i know she is OUT.
    During the day if she's not settling i have found that i cuddle her to sleep while patting her on the bum, then i put her in the cot on her side, hold my arm on her ear while patting her bum with my other hand, i SLOW the patting down until she doesn't move when i stop and make a run for the door. not sure if that helps at all, all kids are dif but it's all about finding what works for you.

With 3 of mine I was able to put them in the cot awake and they would be asleep 5min later but DS#2 had to be held all day long and rocked to sleep. I really feel it just depends on the baby.

Regards,
    Dianne

With 3 of mine I was able to put them in the cot awake and they would be asleep 5min later but DS#2 had to be held all day long and rocked to sleep. I really feel it just depends on the baby.

Regards,
    Dianne

Charlotte went through phases...
    she was fed to sleep for almost the first year, but if I was not around, she would drop off with out it.

There were tears, and a whole heap of different techniques from CC to rocking to get her to sleep from awake in her cot, but had results in a very short time.

Now she goes to bed awake, we read a story and she goes to sleep. She knows not to get out of her bed, and only will to go to the toilet or in the morning.

Consistency and routine definitely helped - in fact routine is essential I think. Charlotte was always dinner bath feed story bed.

I have found using grobag style sleeping bags have helped, whether it is due to the sleep association. I have used these with my youngest 2 boys and they have all been able to be put in their cot, in sleeping bag with dummy and teddy and will fall straight to sleep. I do try to keep to a fairly similar routine on days that I am home so they generally know when it is bed time

Apparently they just come like that.

DD#2 is the worst sleeper in the universe - still haven't worked out how to stick her in a cot and get her to sleep and she's 2.5.

DS#1 on the other hand, you stick him in a cot, and he sleeps ... its ... bizarre. Are babies supposed to do that?

I don't think we as parents achieve it, our babies do it on their own - when they are ready. My DD went into her cot at 10 weeks and the first night in the cot was also her first night in a sleeping bag - so her first night of not being swaddled. She slept beautifully, 10 hours straight. She slept through the night (10-12 hours straight) from 10 weeks until 6 months when we moved house AND she cut her first two teeth. Then she started crawling and standing and her sleep has been up and down since. We didn't change anything yet her sleep patterns changed - I therefore believe the same thing can happen in the reverse ie not so good sleepers suddenly become good sleepers. I honestly think it just happens.

We use to rock DD to sleep for EVERY sleep. I wore her in the sling for most of her day sleeps until she was 6 months old. Suddenly one day, she went down for a day sleep in her cot and just went to sleep - for 2 hours! I was gob smacked, it was so out of character. We haven't looked back since. Sometimes she'll kick up a stink but most times she just goes to sleep. Sometimes it's for an hour or two, sometimes 30-40 mins. Sometimes she'll grizzle for a few minutes (protesting), sometimes she'll just turn her head to the side and nod off. She is an individual like the rest of us - there is no formula for her, she just does what she feels like on the day at that time.

Sorry, not sure if that helped much but I really am a big believer in letting babies fall into their own ways. You can guide them a bit but I honestly think they work it out on their own most of the time. My best advice is keeping trying things as what worked last week may not work today but what didn't work yesterday, may be the answer tomorrow.

Josie only started sleeping through the night completely at six months old. To achieve this I had to be very strict with her routine - making sure she only slept a certain number of hours during the day, and putting her to bed at the same time every night.

As she got older she did begin to fight but I realised that it was mainly because she was still in a cot and I think she didn't like the feeling of confinement. We got her a single bed and she was stoked, her "big girl bed". She still gets up every now and again shortly after I put her to bed but I just turn her back around!! When she moved to her big girl bed we also got rid of the dummies and told her that she was a big girl now, and that she doesn't need them. Took maybe three days, if that, for her to stop asking. Best decision I have made.

The key for me is persistence but being calm about it. I have also found that getting her bathed/showered and then books in bed before sleep has really helped. She can pick whichever "friends" she likes to take with her (I guess this was our compromise for taking her dummies off her. I don't mind her having a couple of her toys in bed with her).

I hope this helps. It did take time and patience for all of this to happen. It was important for me to let her know that I was in control of the situation and that she wasn't going to get the better of me! Sounds cruel but it worked! And now if she's not in bed by 7:30 she's dragging me off to her room to put her to sleep!!