Thread: Baby now sleeps - but I have to be holding him!?!

Default Baby now sleeps - but I have to be holding him!?!

I have been wanting to ask this for some time now, but only got free hands now - baby sleeping on me.

DS co sleeps at night well.
    In the morning I can usually get him to have a sleep or 2 in his bassinete, but the rest of the day his sleeps tend to only happen if he is being worn (in a sling). He likes to be carried a lot anyhow, and fair enough - he is only little, but I find it hard to have to be carrying him so much.It is tiring and make sit difficult for me to do much (Im talking even basic things like tidying house). I am also unsure if this is setting up a long term habit ? - I dont want to still have to spend half my day putting him in a carrier to get him to sleep.

Any suggestions?

nawww how sweet.. i wish DD would fall asleep in my arms i miss that.

It wont last forever so i dont see the problem with it. He likes the closeness.. do u still wrap him? A lady i knew had the same issue and she started wrapping her daughter in the sling and putting her down. Dont know if that will help...

I know its hard to get things done.. but dont worry to much about "things". He is still very young and u will have plenty of time later to get chores done.

sorry if im not much help... take care xox

I agree with Hollye. I am not much help either, I love it when they fall asleep in your arms, but then I am a full on baby wearer so maybe it makes a difference?
    I would also try wrapping, but then that can lead to a wrapping habit.

I think wrapping is a good option for your sanity hun - give it a try

All 3 of my kids have been wrapped and lurrrrve it - Zander is still wrapped now - it really is no biggie.

I have been recommended to wrap him a few times. I have tried it, and he is happy enough until he cant get his arms free - then he starts screaming. ...so after a minute or so I go free them and then the whole things unravels - wrap and sleeping plans.

Salsa, I am with you on this one. My bub cosleeps and will only fall asleep on me or in a sling. She only sleeps for 30 mins though, so it is IMPOSSIBLE to do anything but wear and entertain her all day.

I wish I could help you, but I just wanted to say you're not alone, and I can't be bothered thinking about long term "habits" because frankly I have to get through today and tomorrow and the next day!

I say, lets enjoy our baby wearing. Soon they'll be leaping from our arms and we'll have to beg for a cuddle!

I never had a sling but while Flynn was little I would wear him in a baby bjorn (I could sit down easily with him in it) and once he had fallen asleep I could easily remove the front and pop him down into the bassinet. It meant that I was more able to do things around the house, not that I necessarily did tho!!! I wrapped him too until he was about 5 or 6mths old. Maybe you could try wrapping him with one arm out?
    He is still tiny and will not be getting into any habits until at least 3 or 4mths.
    HTH

Quote Originally Posted by anna View Post
    Salsa, I am with you on this one. My bub cosleeps and will only fall asleep on me or in a sling. She only sleeps for 30 mins though, so it is IMPOSSIBLE to do anything but wear and entertain her all day.

I wish I could help you, but I just wanted to say you're not alone, and I can't be bothered thinking about long term "habits" because frankly I have to get through today and tomorrow and the next day!

I say, lets enjoy our baby wearing. Soon they'll be leaping from our arms and we'll have to beg for a cuddle!
    yes, my son is the same. Sleeps 10 -30 mins unless its in the sling or my arms - where he will sleep for ages. I spend all day trying to get him to sleep if I dont use the sling. I have 2, a pouch and a mei tai.

catherinemoses - he is 3 mths next week!
    I will try wrapping with one arm free. thanks for the suggestion.

I didnt have this problem with my last kid - actually Im trying not to see it as a problem, just a different child with different ways. As lovely as it is that he likes being so close and cuddly with me its a bit of a drain on me. I`m the sort of person who likes sewing, painting etc keeping active. Its difficult to manage that stuff with a baby strapped to you.
    I do really love having the slings though, they make things so much easier!

You could also try getting your smell into his blankets. Just carry it around with you and put it down with him when it is nap time. He may think that you are still there with him. You could put one of your jumpers or tops etc in there with him instead. I know what you mean about it being draining. Hope it settles down for you soon. Make the most of your cuddles. I rarely get them now unless he is completely zonked or I am feeding him!!! There are just way too many other things to see and do!

hun totally off the train of thought you are having but is it possible to put him on your back in the MT? I was wearing Ash on my back in the MT from about 3 months, maybe a little earlier. Just bunch the bit up between his legs a little more ... or get a wrap. That was a massive life saver for me when I had to hang washing out or whatever when my MT was on loan!

Quote Originally Posted by missymoo84 View Post
    hun totally off the train of thought you are having but is it possible to put him on your back in the MT? I was wearing Ash on my back in the MT from about 3 months, maybe a little earlier. Just bunch the bit up between his legs a little more ... or get a wrap. That was a massive life saver for me when I had to hang washing out or whatever when my MT was on loan!

I have just in past week put his legs out of the carriers as he seems to prefere that rather than froggy now. It does need scrunching and I was worried about the leg circulation but seems fine. I thought I needed to wait till 6 mths for back carry but I guess I could give it a try. Thanks.

oh no darl some people wear their babies on their back from birth! Such a helpful thing when you have washing to fold, dishes to do or other kids to grab
    I practiced on the bed for a while, that way if he slipped the mattress was all he hit (never happened though). Also the superman toss, up and over the shoulder, was the easiest

Quote Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
    I`m the sort of person who likes sewing, painting etc keeping active. Its difficult to manage that stuff with a baby strapped to you.
    I do really love having the slings though, they make things so much easier!
    Oh, yes...my poor sewing projects! People keep asking me if I am doing lots of sewing because I am home all the time.

I haven't tried the back carry...maybe I will this week.

Any chance bub will grow out of this anytime soon????

Salsa....if DS likes to be wrapped but gets out easily, have you tried a specialty wrap like a Swaddle Me?? They have velvro tabs so that bubs finds it hard to get unwrapped. I used one on my DD (now 21 months) with success and now with DS (10 weeks). Except DS doesn't like to have his arms wrapped and is happy to be wrapped under the arms....still gives him comfort though. Just a thought.