Thread: Bronchialitis and Feeding

Unhappy Bronchialitis and Feeding

My DD2 is 7 months and was admitted to hosy on Mon with bronchialitis. As it is viral there is very little they could do for her except to try and help her breath and comfotable etc. She spent 3 days on oxygen and was just monitored closely. We came home yesterday afternoon and in herself she is alot better. Obviously from been unwell she has not had much interest in food/milk but i am starting to worry about how much is too little. In hosy i stuggled to get anything into her and was averaging about 200-300ml a day. She normally has 5 bottles of 200mls a day but today has had only 180mls since 10pm last night. Yesterday she had a total of 250mls. Her nappies are damp but not very full at all so i am really worried about dehydration. As i said in herself she seems happy enough etc so i dont know if i should be concerned. Should i be expecting her to drink more? she will drink 30-40 mls at a time then refuse outright to have anymore. I have tried giving 5 mls at a time via suringe and she just spits it back at me. Any advice?
    TIA Hoody

You need to aim for small, frequent feeds. How often will she take 40 mls?

If she is really not taking feeds, she may have to go back in for NG feeding. They get very tired when they have to struggle to breathe.

She is not feeding very often at all. This morning she had 50mls at 7.30am then i managed to get another 30mls into her at about 9am she refused to take anything else at all until about 4pm when she had another 40mls. I persisted on trying to feed her until 6pm and managed in the 2 hrs to get 40 mls into her. I tried again at 8pm and she refused outright after much persuasion i managed to get 20ml. She doesnt appear to be struggling to breath much at all now. I can't hear the wheeze, she no longer has the trachial tug and is not using the muscles under the rib cage excessivly either. As i said she appears quite well apart from the lack of feeding. She has been quite settled and is sleeping as per her normal routine. If she does not up her intake i will def take her back tomo to see what they say.

I'd agree with that. She's going to get dehydrated soon if that is all she's having.