thread: Conjunctivitis

May 2006
    Igglepiggle Land

Arrow Conjunctivitis

DD (15 mths) had a bout of conjunctivitis on Sunday and the locum prescribed some ointment which worked a treat. It got rid of the gunk but caused a bit of a reaction (i.e. DD now has red under her eyes and a rash on her cheeks)...

I managed to catch conjunctivitis from DD and now she has caught it back!

I have been so careful to wash and disinfect everything we come into contact with - but obviously I'm not doing very well!! Washing clothes, bed linen, spraying Glen 20 etc - and am so disappointed that I've had to re-apply the ointment (as I didn't want DD's rash to get any worse - but it doesn't seem to bother her iykwim)...

I find it almost impossible to stop DD from rubbing her eyes but I do wipe her eyes at the first sight of gunk!! (DD crawls away from me soo quickly when I have a tissue in my hand now lol!)

Any advice how I can get rid of this once and for all?? Please!!

Apr 2008
    Home, where else??

Eye drops/ointment are usually the best.

Another option is warm salty water using a cotton ball (one of each eye, don't use the same ball on both eyes). This also loosens the gunk if it has gone hard (i.e. after a sleep).

Oct 2006

Are you still breastfeeding by any chance? A squirt of milk can work wonders!

Mar 2007
    Brisbane

brew a cup of tea.. then let it go cold.

Cold tea really really soothes the itch and will help her wanting to touch her eyes.

Is it bacterial, viral or allergic conjunctivitis??

if it's allergy, some anti-hestimine will help.. if it's viral.. not much u can do but ride the waves of it.. if it's bacterial.. keep the ointment up.

Add rustygirl on Facebook

Sep 2007
    McDowall QLD

brew a cup of tea.. then let it go cold.
    Chamomile is the best tea to use. I used it for Cohen and it works really well. Don't double dip the same cotton ball though, or use the cotton ball to wipe the eye again ie if your going to wipe the eye 4 times use 4 cotton balls.
    Hope this helps

May 2006
    Igglepiggle Land

Thanks ladies - ended up taking DD back to the Dr and got the eyedrops PLUS some cream for the rash the ointment caused...

I'm definately not a double dipper ladies (George from Seinfield taught me that )!!

Add rustygirl on Facebook

Sep 2007
    McDowall QLD

hahaha....... just making sure

Add ~clover~ on Facebook

Sep 2007
    travelling

Salty water is great. As is breast milk, but needs to be on hand.