Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cradle Cap

Default Cradle Cap

Please someone help me get rid of this
    I've tried bicarb paste and oil for an hour before her bath (separately). We don't use and product and I'm meticulous at rinsing.
    What else can I try?

Heres what I tried with Milo. His cradle cap was over about 1/3 of his head at one stage, and it resembled a dried up creek bed.

Olive oil massaged in and left overnight, and hair brushed the next day. I had to do this for a few days in a row, but it really helped loosen the scales, in combination with washing each night.

At one point we tried bicarb - I never left it on his scalp though, just made a paste and washing his hair with it - this worked wekk after a few days of the olive oil treatment.

you might find that any hair thats grown through the cradle cap will wash off with it - don't worry if theis happens, it did with Milo, and his hair is growing nicely now.

its also not uncommon for cradle cap to come and go - my gf's 18 month old has some ATM

I didn't use anything with Jackson, my MCHN just told me to scrape it lightly with my fingernail, because otherwise it would just keep building up. It doesnt hurt just don't pick it off in chunks. I scraped very lightly, a little each day, and it just all came off after a few days. After that if Jackson got just a little bit I would scrape it straight away and that would stop it building up.

I just use plain baby oil and comb it in with a baby comb. Then wash out the next night. Both my boys still get patches of it and Kameron is nearly 5.

Love

I used olive oil on Matilda's head in the morning & then combed it & rinsed it off in her bath in the evenings... it worked the only time she had it.

The plastic headlice combs are fantastic at removing it!!!

Jo

I have also heard olive oil massaged into the head helps.

We used baby shampoo, and a really really soft baby brush, and brushed about his scalp, did this for a week and it eventually went.

an eyebrow comb is a great suggestion, I will remember that one!

You girls are legends thanks! - obviously I'm not leaving it on long enough. I will do it in the mornings now for her night baths and see how that goes.
    Thanks Tulip the eyebrow comb is a fantastic idea!!!

One of the other June Mums has put me onto a product called MooGoo which make an Infant Scalp Cream. It arrived yesterday ... just in time because I'm noticing the first signs of it with Niall. My other two children got it and it kept coming back. Apparently (as it says on the MooGoo web site) the cream controls the micro-flora on the skin that causes cradle cap. I've put the first application on Niall yesterday and it seems really nice. Geeze I feel like I'm advertising the product... promise I'm not getting a commission! LOL

I had already heard of MooGoo ( a small West Australian company) on the ABC station's program LandLine earlier in the year.... it said it was an amazing product and I guess I kinda trust the researchers for that show so I've decided to give it a go. I ordered online and it arrived in only a few days. I also got some shampoo for my DHs psoriasis and their famous goat's milk soap. I'll post another update in here when I use the scalp cream on my toddler who's cradle cap is worse than Niall's.

ETA: Oh I forgot to add that cradle cap gets worse if the head gets overheated... which seems true because I do recall it getting worse in summer with my other two... also makes sense if it's a micro-organism causing it... they need warmth to grow.

NewmumLou Guest

Go the chemist and buy Alpha Keri oil! Rub it on .... it works wonders, little Joshua had cradle cap- i think it was the johnson and johnson shampoo i was using, and i started using alpha keri and it worked immediatly.

the soft baby brush worked for us .. and i washed his hair with hamiltons soap free wash about 3 times it was gone

I used the 'ego' brand cradle cap solution. You just put it on every day for 5 days :eek: without washing. It looked awful, but Emma had HEAPS & it all came off when I washed & gently combed it out. I was so stoked!!!

Unhappy Cradle Cap

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or remedies for cradle cap?
    My 4 month old has it pretty bad and I have tried Baby Oil, Olive oil, Bepanthen cream..
    My hairdresser says baby oil is the best...leave it on over night and wash it off the next day....
    Some lady in the chemist told me she used bicarb and water mixed into a paste and popped on the head..it worked for her 5 babies..I havn't tried it yet!
    It has also started to appear as an exzema(can't spell that word) on his forehead.
    What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by leesha View Post
    It has also started to appear as an exzema(can't spell that word) on his forehead.
    What to do?
    yeah same with my bub but more like oil build up and in eyebrows too. sorry don't have any remedies to share battling this one too.. how do you do the paste treatment???

I mix up bicarb and olive oil until its a paste, slather it on, wait a while and then shampoo it off (rubbing quite briskly)

Worked with DS when I tried it - have yet to try it on Miss M cos I'm a bit lazy in my old age

from what i can remember cradle cap is caused by excess oil, depending on how you feel i used to wash my ds's hair in cedel family shampoo, and this worked realy well, it is medicated for dandruff, i only used a tiny bit and made sure not to get it in their eyes but like i said it realy works, got it from the supermarket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast