Thread: DD has just developed fear of the bath(sorry long)

Default DD has just developed fear of the bath(sorry long)

We have just finished a fun session of chocolate crackle making on a table cloth in the middle of the floor of the kitchen, DD was covered in 'cooking fun' so I suggested a bath she says 'no, no,no' and heads towards her toys didn't think anything of it I went to start running the bath and she would usually follow me to the bath room as she adores all things water and loves her bath time, she didn't appear so I went to find her and pretended to chase her normally resulting in fits of giggles I scoop her up and head to the bath room and she starts squirming saying "no,no,no" we get to the bath room and she tries to run out the door so I close it she then starts clawing at the door saying "door,door" I pick her up and start heading to the bath she gets hysterical and starts trying to climb me like a tree I calmed her down and went to put her in the water again thinking she would be ok once she hopped in but she again became frantic and bit me on the shoulder HARD. I didn't mean to but I cried out and startled her a fair bit (it really hurt) I could she she was stressed so I know she didn't mean to but I felt so bad seeing her so upset, she has never done this before, I started crying,
    once I calmed us both down I sat on the floor with her and tried to encourage her to splash her hands in thr tub but no, I climbed in and held her out of the water and gently and gradually started washing her with the cloth she started to relax and then settled on my knee and after about 5 mins she settled between my legs in the water and splashed around happily, I thought that I would hop out and said 'Mummy's going to hop out now" and the hysterics started again she again climbed me saying 'cuddle, cuddle"
    The only thing that I can think of that has changed was that at her last bath DH took the plug out of the bath before she had hopped out and the gurgling noise seemed to startle her but at the time she seemed ok.
    I know toddlers can develop fears about things but how can I help her get past this as she has always loved her bath time and I can't stand to see her so stressed and upset

the plug thing is a good indicator will she have a shower with you maybe have a shower for a few days

if your shower is in your bath after a couple of days pop the plug in a let the bath fill a little and gradually wean her back that way

:hugs:

You poor hun! I would have cried too.

Darcy did something similar a while back, so I just started putting her in the shower with me....now of course she has an irrational fear of the water in the shower - but is now happy to play in the bath.

she has been uncomfortable in the shower for a little while now, while the weathers nice I might use her clam shell pool on the deck just to build up her confidence again, she seems really confident in it, see what happens we'll just take it gently, Daddy gets home tomorrow so we can help her together and hopefully i won't fall apart again, thanks for your replies