Thread: DD has a temp and I need advice pls :)

Default DD has a temp and I need advice pls :)

Hi everyone!

DD has had a temp since last night, sitting between 38.4-38.8 degrees. The thing is, besides radiating heat she is not unwell in anyway. I have been giving her nurofen but she is eating, drinking and feeding normally, she is not miserable or out of sorts at all so my 'gut feeling' is that it may just be her teeth again. She is pulling at her ears a little and chewing away on everything. Just before she cut her first 5 in 4 weeks she had a temp similar but only over night not for 20hours kwim? So Im just wondering should I take her to the Dr?? Could they do anything for her, Im keeping her fluids up and trying to cool her with showers and washers.
    Any help would be great, Im second guessing because a friend just told me how urgent it was I get her seen to but as I said she is still super happy and giggly just hot.

TIA

Last edited by Lily Dust; September 23rd, 2010 at 06:48 PM.

Is the nurofen bringing it down at all?
    is she seems ok otherwise and it is controlled by pain killers (i use panadol) then maybe just watch it...
    are you sure her ears are OK?

they woudnt worry too much til it is over 39 - but maybe just watch her and see how she goes -keep up the fluids etc etc

:yeahthat:
    Also sometimes a high temp can precede a rash like in roseola.
    I'd go to the gp JiC and get your little ones ears checked

So maybe an ear infection? What am I looking for (sorry I know thats a really dumb question) there is no obvious redness.
    The nurofen bought the temp down after about 1.5 hours, she went down to high 37's after she had a nap but it was back up again within 3 hours. No sign of a rash yet but am certainly keeping my eyes on her.
    Thanks heaps, its a little daunting when the thermometer gets so high, I wondered what temp they would get concerned about cause I was thinking about convulsions

Ear infection can affect balance. Sometimes kids pull at their ears others not. Not wanting to lie flat can also be a sign as can waking at night if it's out of the ordinary

Hi Lily Dust

You are doing the right thing. My guess is that it is her teeth. If it was an ear infection she would probably be pulling at her ears. See how she goes overnight. I don’t think you need to visit your doctor just yet

Thank you so much Mamapan, Pandora and Alan your advice was so appreciated. Just an update, DDs temp stayed up all day Friday and by Friday night it spiked at 49.2 and she got incredibly doughy and miserable. Took her up to the hospital and was told it was probably a combination of her molars and a virus, asked the dr to check her ears too, just to be sure. He was so nice and reassuring! After spiking, she cooled down and was one grumpy mess on Saturday but now is so much better, except for the teeth.
    I really want to send my thanks because without the help of people who take the time to reply I would be completely lost in this 'first time mum gig'