Thread: Disposable nappies

Mara&Johnny Guest

Default Disposable nappies

Greetings,

my wife and I have recently welcomed our son Alexander into the world and have returned from the hospital. We have decided to start on disposable nappies but are having trouble with leaks (urine) while he sleeps. We would like to avoid him getting wet and also wetting his romper and bassinet sheet so little man doesn't get irritated and also so Dad doesn't have to wash all the time. What may be common causes of leakage? We are doing the nappy up relatively tightly (we could probably go tighter though), the nappies we are using are Huggies which are supposed to be ok and we are using up to 5kg size (small). Our son was very large (10lbs 10oz) so we are at the threshold in terms of nappy size to his weight but the next size up are just way too big. Could we try PVC nappy covers over disposable nappies? While I'm sure leaking nappies are a common occurrence any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks. Johnny.

Last edited by Mara&Johnny; July 16th, 2008 at 10:29 AM.

Hmmm, I guess there are 2 things - how often are you changing him (sorry I know its an obvious question!), and how loosely are you doing up the nappies? We were told in hospital to do it up so you can fit two fingers between the top of the nappy and bubs tummy. I guess you could try a pvc cover - do whatever works I say!
    I'm sorry I know I'm not much help.... congrats on your new bub though

Id say go up a size, my son Logan was 8lb 9oz and was only in Huggies newborn for a few weeks and i always make sure i point his 'you know' down, as we used to get leaks from out the sides.

HTH,
    Simone

Mara&Johnny Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sneakysparkle View Post
    Hmmm, I guess there are 2 things - how often are you changing him (sorry I know its an obvious question!), and how loosely are you doing up the nappies? We were told in hospital to do it up so you can fit two fingers between the top of the nappy and bubs tummy. I guess you could try a pvc cover - do whatever works I say!
    I'm sorry I know I'm not much help.... congrats on your new bub though
    Thank you. We are changing him almost every time he wakes up, so possibly every 3-4 hours. I'll try the two fingers between his tummy and nappy trick.

Mara&Johnny Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shorty View Post
    Id say go up a size, my son Logan was 8lb 9oz and was only in Huggies newborn for a few weeks and i always make sure i point his 'you know' down, as we used to get leaks from out the sides.

HTH,
    Simone
    Haha yeah Dad learned the down pointing trick pretty quick. I'll see if we can find up to 6kg nappies because the next ones we have are up to 8kg and they are too big for him. Thanks for the quick response.

Lol, no worries.

P.s, Congrats on the beautiful boy!

Make sure that the little "frills" that go around his legs are pulled out so that the elastic seam of the nappy is sitting snuggly around his thighs. I would definitely be considering going up to the next size nappy too. My DD is 4.5 kgs now and she is in the infant size.

Now, if someone could tell me how to stop newborn pooplosions that go all over everything I'd be grateful!!

Talking

Hi Mara&Johnny,

I use Huggies & my DS grew pretty quickly & I agree with Lulu, make sure all the frills on the outside are out. I put him into the next size (infants I think from memory they should be 6 - 8kg??) when he was about 4-5 kgs because I was getting too many leaks. At first I wasn't sure because I too thought they were too big but truly it did stop my leaking problem. When ever the nappy's start to leak I find when I upgrade to the next size up it always stops even though sometimes they seem to big. Goodluck