thread: First birthday gift ideas, please.

Jan 2008
    Country Victoria

First birthday gift ideas, please.

Ok so I should know this one but I am so stuck, I have 3 daughters, my youngest will be turning one in a few weeks and I have no idea what to get her! She will be getting a bracelet (like hers sisters) but what is something fun to give her? We don't really own many plastic toys, I am open to them but they have to do more than push a button and the batteries do the rest. We don't own any battery operated toys. DD is a little advanced due to having older sisters close in age but obviously not advanced enough to play with most of their toys properly so she is a little bored at the moment being at a difficult kind of age.

Any help/suggestions welcome.

Jan 2007

Wooden tea set, puzzles, books, craft/art stuff!

Apr 2006
    Perth

Both my girls got an enormous sitting pony on their first birthdays, and we'll be getting one for DD3 too (although may have to build a stable block for them all to live in!!). They are now 4 and 5 and absolutely love them still

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jul 2008
    Eastern Surburbs, Melbourne

A small toy that makes a noise, wrapped and put in a large box which you have also wrapped. Children love to play with boxes and wrapping paper

Oct 2008
    In a Nice Safe Space

I love wooden toys for children. DS was given a wooden fire truck puzzle for his 1st birthday from a very good friend of ours. I don't know where she got it from but it has about 6 pieces and it all comes apart into blocks that make up the whole truck. Is that making any sense at all? DS can push the truck around in one piece or make it into little pieces. As he gets older he will be able to put the truck back together again.

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

A wooden peg board puzzle? My DD2 is getting one for her birthday.

Jul 2007
    melb

Tea set
    Toy kitchen
    Trains
    Wooden blocks
    Duplo blocks
    Hammer bench (peg thing)

Jul 2009
    Australia

A pillow pet
    A baby
    Blocks
    Tea set

Sep 2005
    In the middle of nowhere

a tent/teepee? One of those cloth houses that goes over the kitchen table?
    musical instruments?
    a little bike/three wheeled thingo that they push with their feet?

ha I have had 2 one year olds and gearing up for another and I have no idea either

Add TeniBear on Facebook Follow TeniBear On Twitter

Oct 2009
    Lalor, VIC

A xylophone, or another simple instrument she can bang on?

----------------------------------
    So, it has come to this.

Jan 2008
    Country Victoria

Thank you for all of the ideas - it is so hard when I have most things either in their playroom or in the garage in storage my other girls are 2.5 and 4 so it is not that long ago they received the same things for their birthdays/Christmas. There are a couple of ideas there that I will take another look at. I also thought of a well made wooden (heirloom quality) push along (the small ones that clap wood together to make noise) or pull along toys, she is walking already and loves to push high chairs/ boxes and anything really around the house.

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Sep 2011

Our kids have always loved those cardboard stacking boxes - 1-10. Not sure if you've already got some? But they love building them and then pushing them over (I do have boys).

Mar 2006

Re: First birthday gift ideas, please.

My dd is about to turn 1 too! She is getting a swing. I know a friend is getting her a tambourine because she loves music. She is also getting her first baby doll so she stopped pinching her sisters! I'd like to get her a stable pram but not just yet.
    How about a sand pit?

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

Re: First birthday gift ideas, please.

my dd got a wooden rainmaker from ecotoys, and it has had a fair workout over the years. i love lots of things from ecotoys.