Thread: HELP 10wk old breastfeed baby with diarrhea.

Default HELP 10wk old breastfeed baby with diarrhea.

DS is 10 weeks old.
    Yesterday evening we noticed his nappy was watery,greeny and mucusy. During the night we changed 2 naps like that and this morning its been green and mucusy but not watery. It has not been stinky though.

He seems well otherswise, but as a breastfeed baby I am concerned as to why he got diarrhea. From what I have read it seems the breastmilk should help clear things up, but if it continues for more than 24hrs we should go see the Dr.

Just hoping to get any confirmation of what we are doing or offer any other advise.

Last edited by Salsa; March 14th, 2009 at 01:29 PM.

How are you feeling. Sometimes you can pass on a tummy bug to baby or you may have eaten something to upset him.
    Give 'Nurse on call' a ring. The time we dealt with them they were really helpful.
    The other thing you can do is give the hospital, where you had him, a ring and speak to one of the midwives. Either one should be able to give you some advise.
    All the best

How has he been feeding? Jazz got 'diarrhea' a few times, green and frothy (eww I know!), and apparently babies get that sometimes if, when they are feeding, they are taking the foremilk mostly and not enough of the hindmilk. I was swapping sides before she was done and I guess she wasonly getting foremilk, I wasn't giving her enough time to get to the full and creamy stuff. If he doesn't seem 'off' could this be a possibillity?

My DD often has that green mucousy looking poo. She gets it when she feeds for comfort rather than an actual 'feed'. For example if I feed her to sleep for a nap and then I have to resettle her with the boob a few times (like every half hour or so!)

As leasha said - its usually because they are getting too much foremilk.

If you're concerned I would call your dr or nurse on call...but green poo isn't that unusual for a bf baby.

Its not frothy. I remember that watery frothy poo from when my older child was a baby. This is definatly different from that. This afternoon we had one nappy that was back to normal and then since then its been bad again - and a really bright olivey green.
    I will make a call to the nurse or Drs tomorrow if he still has it by morning.

If bub is otherwise happy (ie. alert, looking well hydrated and wanting to feed as usual) I'd also be going with too much foremilk. Frothy or not, green poo is usually a result of that. Are you feeding from both breasts at each feed or letting him completely drain one and then offering the next one next time?

Bear in mind if you go to the doctor in the morning - most doctors are completely oblivious to variations in bowel movements in a breastfed baby - they learn nothing about breastfeeding in their training (even paediatricians only cover the basics which is scandalous really). If your baby is ticking all the boxes above, it's not diarrhoea. It is very, very unusual for a breastfed baby to get a stomach bug, particularly if no one else in the house is affected.

Keep feeding. Even if it is diarrhoea, which I doubt, breastmilk is the best thing for him and at 10 weeks, all he needs.