Thread: Help me Decide on 12month Vax

Default Help me Decide on 12month Vax

The 12month vaccine includes:

Measles, Mumps, Rubella
    Hib
    Hep B
    Meningococcal C

Opinions please on the necessity of this vaccine? I really don't know much about any of these diseases (bar Hep B).

Also, I definitely want DD fully immunised against Hep B as I know some family members who are carriers, so if I choose not to have this vaccine, it will eliminate that Hep B booster.

Does anyone know if there are Hep B vaccines individually packaged for babies, or is the only way to get it with this stupid all in one deal. (Sorry, bit frustrated)

TIA this is really bugging me.

we arnt giving DD2 any of those vaccines until shesabout to start school, even then i'dpreffer to give her the rubella part on its own without the MM factor.
    she will be getting tetanus at 12 months

You should be able to get a solo Hep B vaccine...And yes, if you have known carriers in the family I would imagine a wise thing to do. Ask around the doctors etc and see who will do it for you.

As for everything else...there are pros and cons, but for us we decided against vaxing at all.

Many countries don't allow vaccines for children under 2 years of age, so perhaps delaying the schedule could be something to look int for your family?

GL

Depends on how much contact she'll be having with the wider community as well.

If you're considering not following the schedule, I'd not choose to have the MMR - it has got a lot of bad press recently because of the suspected link with autism.

The meningococcal vaccine is probably not a bad idea, because meningococcal disease can strike fast and be deadly, but I would say that if you're not expecting your child to spend long periods of time out of your care, you could probably do without it. If you are considering childcare, I think it would be a good idea to have it. Not sure about the Hib vaccine. We haven't given it to our girls. Hib can cause epiglottitis, which can be quite severe, but it's a fairly rare disease, and generally not fatal.

I sucks for mothers out there that rely on centrelink payments to help support their family.
    They pretty much take away your choice. You don't get your child vaccinated they cut off your payments!
    Not that I'm on centrelink... but I see it happen all the time where I work.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCat View Post
    I sucks for mothers out there that rely on centrelink payments to help support their family.
    They pretty much take away your choice. You don't get your child vaccinated they cut off your payments!
    Not that I'm on centrelink... but I see it happen all the time where I work.

That is not true at all...

If you choose not to have your child vaccinated you get a form from your doctor saying he has explained the risks etc to you and you are making an informed decision.
    They do not cut payments if you don't get your child vaccinated. Only if you don't produce the form.

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post

That is not true at all...

If you choose not to have your child vaccinated you get a form from your doctor saying he has explained the risks etc to you and you are making an informed decision.
    They do not cut payments if you don't get your child vaccinated. Only if you don't produce the form.
    Oh, so sorry, didnt realise you worked in medical.

Hmm yes I don't plan on ever using child care, and if I'm diligent with not exposing DD to other unvac kids, I suppose I might be able to get away with it.. At least till she's much older.
    Thanks so much for your advice everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCat View Post
    Oh, so sorry, didnt realise you worked in medical.

I don't, I am just a non-vaccinating parent who did my homework.