thread: Hep B vax

Aug 2008
    Adelaide

Neither of our girls had Hep B vax at birth. DH and I don't have it and aren't at high risk so I didn't see the point. We do do the 2, 4 and 6 month injections though.

Aug 2008
    Ouiinslano

We are almost-total-vaxers but we opted out of this one. We're low risk, and also, my immunity to Hep B is really high after I had the vax at age 16, so I really knew we wouldn't need it.

I just think newborn is too little to be getting needles. If nothing else is wrong, then there's no need. For a normal birth, I would also refuse Vit K.

Sep 2005
    In the middle of nowhere

We gave it as DH works on a very remote community where there is high incidence. He is also a high risk occupation (he's a cop). We visit that same community. Like one of the PPs said the disease is worse than the vax side effects so this was one I def wanted to give.

Oct 2004
    In my Zombie proof fortress.

Gave it as well. DH works in the sewer/water industry. So there were times he would literally have to crawl through human waste and I had the short straw of washing his clothes. Yes, I know he would not be taking her down a sewer with him, but I felt more comfortable having it than not.

Add Shades on Facebook

May 2008
    Capalaba, QLD

I didn't let my son have it and I wouldn't let another child either if I had one. I suppose I am in a high risk occupation but I have been vaxxed and I don't intend on sharing needles or blood with my son or any other children. It's not transmissible through sneezing, coughing or bm so I fail to see the risk for my kids, especially at birth.

Sent from my Galaxy

Mar 2006

My kids had the Hep B vax as I work in a high risk around and so do two of their grandparents and several aunties/uncles/friends who they have regular contact with.

Mar 2004
    Sparta

HepB can be transmitted amongst family members and almost a third of HepB infections can't be traced to known risk factors (ie they have no idea how they caught it) so if you know anyone who has it or anyone who is at risk then it is worth getting the vax.
    If you are very sure of the status of everyone who will be in contact with your baby then it is possibly ok to skip it.

ETA - one at risk group that is often overlooked is people who play contact sport so if your DH (or you) play rugby, water polo, basketball etc you should at the very least get your blood-work done.
    Last edited by Phteven; May 22nd, 2012 at 10:15 PM.

Jan 2009
    In my own little fantasy world

I googled "hep b vaccine for babies". It brought up all the government brochures & wikipedia links. All to be read with a certain level of scepticism I know but a good starting point none the less. The qld health brochure seems to have been updated since I read unless there is another one out there that I missed. I would post a link but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to.

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

I think there are 2 questions to answer. First is do you want to get the Hep B vaccine, and 2nd is do you want to get the HepB vaccine at birth. Because you can miss the first dose at birth, and get the next 3 doses as part of the vaccine schedule and still get immunity (if the process works). The only reason to get the extra vaccine at birth is if your child is at risk in the immediate newborn period.

Jun 2005
    USA

I think there are 2 questions to answer. First is do you want to get the Hep B vaccine, and 2nd is do you want to get the HepB vaccine at birth. Because you can miss the first dose at birth, and get the next 3 doses as part of the vaccine schedule and still get immunity (if the process works). The only reason to get the extra vaccine at birth is if your child is at risk in the immediate newborn period.
    Exactly this. Skipping the hep B vax at birth has nothing whatsoever to do with child care/kinder/school. The regular immunisation schedule starts at 2 months old so your child will be well covered before they are active or in any risky environment, unless you have particular risk factors in your home.