Thread: Which Highchair?

Default Which Highchair?

Hi there,

We are looking to purchase a highchair for our DS and with all the choice out there i am struggling to make a decision. Can anyone recommend a highchair? does it allow bubs to interact at the table (not essential). If you could buy a chair all over again which one would you buy and why?

I really wished I asked these questions when buying our pram so not goign to make the same mistake again...

many thanks :-)
    Ella

I'm almost sure there is a good thread about highchairs in the nursery equipment section... i'll see if I can post a link

Go the Ikea highchair (can't remember what it's called but pretty sure they only have the one model. Think it comes in white or blue). Plain, simple, cheap and sooooo easy to clean.

I've got one of those whizz bang reclining ones which I'm about to sell to buy one from Ikea. I HATE it and it is soooooo hard to keep it clean.

Ok HERE's a good thread about high chairs

...and HERE's another one.
    Last edited by Bathsheba; March 14th, 2009 at 03:53 PM.

Ohh i totally agree!!
    i have a whizz bang high chair and it drives me insane!
    I hate hate hate hate hate cleaning it!! lol!

but with that said, it does recline, which was good when DD started on solids as she couldn't quite sit up by herself without toppleing over. And now when my friend comes over with her newborn, i recline it, put a nice blanket in it, and the baby sits in it (up off the ground where DD would love to 'play' with her, haha).
    so it definately has it advantages - just the cleaning side (very annoying!)

definatly go the ikea one first (its white plastic) and if you really don't like it then you've only wasted $40 not $400! we have and just started using it with DS, he loves it and i find it really easy to clean and move around. my husband just said "highly recommend it" so it must be good

I felt the same about my reclining high-chair... very worth it for the comfort and safety factor... but horrible to clean... I ended up just putting it in the shower!!!

Do the Ikea ones have a 5 point harness? Or any kind of strap-in system? I've heard they don't... and that would really concern me.

no they dont have a 5 point harness but they do have a lap strap, its ok but i wouldn't leave ds unattended in it, but i guess i wouldn't either way.

Yep, some children would be ok to leave sitting in the chair while you turned your back for a minute or two while you fetched a paper towel etc... but many wouldn't... they would try to wriggle out of the lap strap quick as a flash. Ikea obviously make a good chair... shame they can't incorporate a safer harness. It's horrific seeing a child fall from a highchair... and it can happen so easily.... you can't watch them all the time, especially if you have other small children.