Thread: How long to delay MMR for?

Default How long to delay MMR for?

DD recently got her 12 month vac's, except for the MMR as I think 3 needles at once is too much, especially given the reaction MMR causes.
    So I told the MCHN I'd be delaying it until next month, but not sure if I should go back then or wait longer..and if so how much longer?

She's had no reaction to any of her previous vaccines, and at the moment we don't hang around many people/children. She isn't in childcare (don't this changing in the forseeable future) and we don't have many friends so stick with ourselves pretty much..we do go to playgroup once a week and the kids there are mostly 2 and up.

I don't want the MCHN hassling me to get it done, but then I don't want to rush in and have it done just for the sake of it if it isn't really necessary to have it done now.

DD2 is getting hers when shes school age

I'm thinking of delaying for at least a year or two, hopefully can avoid the booster that way. (this is for currently baking bub, DS I just did on schedule).

Sounds like your DD is probably low risk, so you could consider delaying longer if you want - it's up to you really. They might remind you about it but shouldn't hassle you.

I thought it was best to wait until at least 2 to be able to check for other risk factors first (such as possible autism). In the end we decided to get our son vaxxed at 22 months as he wasn't showing any problems and was in good health so we figured it was a good time.

DD will be vax'd at school age.

thanks ladies Seeing as she isn't very high risk I think I'll hold off at least until she is 2, if she does happen to start going to daycare then I might rethink but for the moment I think she should be pretty safe. Hopefully I haven't jinxed her now..lol

Both my boys had MMR at 12mths with no problems. 3 needles didnt bother them. but it is up to you.

dont let them hassle you

I just wanted to come back to this thread as new information has come to my attention. My main reason for giving my son the MMR vax was the risk of infertility from mumps. I just looked this up again based on the discussion in the compulsary vax thread and found that the risk of infertility in boys only occurs if they have the mumps AFTER puberty. I will do some more research now, but based on that information I think I will delay the MMR vax for a lot longer next time- perhaps till school age or even around 10 years old.