Thread: How long too breastfeed for???

Question How long too breastfeed for???

Hey Guys,

I have a 1 yr old son whose still on the boobie, but I was just wondering how long should i keep breastfeeding for????

I know 12 months is the norm but im still happy to breastfeed for as long as he wants it.
    What does eeryone else do???

The world health organisation (WHO) recommend at least 2 years. You'll find a lot of us here aim for infant-led weaning.. which can take some beyond 3 years.

12 months isn't really a norm.. I think 12 months has become a bit of a 'thing' because at this age if you're formula feeding it's ok to move onto cows milk at 12 months, so I guess it's flowed on for people to think that breastfeeding can end at 12 months too. But human milk will always be better for them than cows milk, so you might as well keep providing human milk!

If you're happy to keep feeding, then go for it, the benefits for both you and bub are enormous. Enjoy!

We self-weaned at 16m. I would have gone on for longer.

I think the "norm" is about 4-5m, so a year is better than average. The WHO recommend 2 years, and I would have loved to go beyond that, but if your baby decides not to feed there's not much you can do, especially if expressing is long and not very productive.

As long as you want? As long as your DS wants to?

12 months is a fantastic milestone to reach! Congratulations. I am still going at 16 months, and still loving it. I am just going with the flow.

DD went from 3-4 feeds at 12 months to 2 feeds by 14 months. I never thought she would drop a feed then but all of a sudden we were down to 1... then the molars started to push their way through and we are back up to 3-4 a day!

Still, it is really nice to be able to settle poor DD easily when she is distressed.

Just enjoy the ride as it works for both of you.

Congragulations on reaching 12 mnths it is a big achievement.

I understand how you feel about reaching the 12 mnth mark and wondering if it is time to stop. My sister stopped at 12 mnths and was applauded for b/f that long. So it is expected that I will start weaning too. I thought about weaning onto cows milk but then I thought why would I want to give DS another animals milk when mine is better. It offers exactly what DS needs plus the immuniological benefits. Especially as I am back at work it means if I catch a cold he will already be getting some protection from my milk so if he does get sick it won't be as bad IYKWIM?

I also agree with RHF that the 'norm' is more like 4-5 months and you are almost expected to wean at 12 mnths if you are b/f that long.

I am going to keep going (currently feeding between 3 - 6 times a day) and follow his lead and see how we go. I am working 3 days a week so the night feeds are getting tiring but last night he only woke once

Ultimately you have to make the right decision for yourself, your DS and your family.

HTH

actually 2 years and beyond is the 'norm' so keep at it If people had more clue as to what is best for bubbas there would be no pushing from outisde influences to wean at 1 year.

I agree with the other posts, society seems to pressure mothers to wean by 12 months, its like its taboo after that for some reason.
    I would have fed DS for longer but he self weaned at about 14 months.

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

i agree with all that has been said,i always have people ask me when im going to wean DD, my mother is shocked that im still BFing now and DD is only 8 months! Everyone has a view on how long you should BF....especially people who didnt BF their children (my mum!) and it seems to be 12 months or under....i think you should go for aslong as you and DS want/can. i will just be following DD...im happy to go to about 3yrs. (wich will certainly shock my mum! LOL ) well done for doing 12 months!!

Well done on 12 months!! That is fabulous

We are still going strong, and loving it

Dont get me wrong there are times when I would love not to be BF, like when I would love one more glass of wine lol
    But it is working well for us She feeds when she wants to, usually about 4 times a day. And if she needs settling or has a nasty fall she tends to feed and it soothes her - better than panadol

Good luck for whatever you decide, just remember that 2 years is considered optimal so if anyone hassles you, tell them to stick it lol