Thread: how many spews is too many spews?

Default how many spews is too many spews?

my ds seems to vomit A LOT. it didn't used to bother me that much, but lately every time dp comes home from work and grabs ds for a cuddle he spews all over him- to the point where dp has to change his top! the other night he did it 3 times in a row- so dp had to change top 3 times! it doesn't seem to bother ds, he just spews and then carries on doing whatever he was doing. no drama.
    it's just that it is becoming a bit of a problem for everyone that holds him and gets vomitted all over.
    i'm wondering..how much should ds be vomitting? is there something that i should be doing?
    thanks

My sister was a vomiting baby. All you had to do was touch her and she would vomit, so many people commented how they had never seen anything like it... It was really hard to go anywhere as she would 100% of the time vomit over herself and anyone within a 5 mile radius The most practical advice anyone gave my mother was just to watch her dehydration. If her lips arent plump and you cant keep any fluids down take her to the hospital. She didnt grow out of it like most Drs said, she is now 30 and still vomits at the sight or smell of anything bad. Some people just vomit, allot... Persist with fluids and stand back..

Good luck

Some babies are spewy babies but is something I would keep an eye on if he desn't grow out of it. Maybe look at how he is being handled, does he spew as much for you? How do you hold him, could it be because he is excited? My DD up chucks everytime we go to playgroup - it's the only time, I'm guessing it's because she is busy/excited.

Hope you figure something out

Gracie, has he been like this before? Some babies just are 'happy chuckers', but it is still a reflux sign, and it's possible he may not have any other symptoms either apart from the spewing. Its usually from the sphincter at the top of their stomach not being able to close properly/stay closed and it lets milk back up. Unless he is obviously unwell, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. its jsut a bugger though that you can't predict when it will happen LOL - I'm used to smelling like vomit all the time.

Do you think it could just be coincidence that when they hold him he's just had a feed? after alister has a feed, I usually put him down in his rocker for a bit to let it settle, otherwise he will bring some back up.

as long as he is gaining wight and remaining hydrated he should be fine, but i would take him to the Dr and maybe get some zantac for him. it is really degrading for your self image to be vomitted on that much. em vomits at least twice per feed. but now it is digested not whole milk like it used to be.

I asked my MCHN about this because DD spews a lot. Sometimes one BIG spew and sometimes up to ten mini-spews. Which makes for lots of washing! Anyhow, the MCHN said that as long as it doesn't bother the baby and as long as they're gaining weight, then not to worry. Our lounge room rug is not looking too great though!

thanks for your all your replies guys
    sherie- it has been happening all along but i think it has increased a little bit in the actual volume that comes up.
    it doesn't seem to bother the little man at all, so i guess i'll just keep doing washing

Gracie, Tom (DS2) was the same. He would chuck every day, usually at least once for every feed he'd had. We were told he was just a "chucky baby" (lovely term that!!) and that it would pass. And it did. TBH I couldn't even tell you when, just one day I realised that he hadn't spewed in a few days. He was probably somewhere between 6 and 9 months. I would say that without any other symptoms you have nothing to worry about.