Thread: I dont think shes sick but..

Default I dont think shes sick but..

shes not keeping her bottles down.

We've had 2 attempts now to give her a bottle and she gets almost to the end and up they come..

Shes hungry but can't keep them down. Should we be concerned?

I said to DP if she does it with every bottle tonight we'll take her to the doctors first thing in the morning. She has been really cranky today, didn't sleep very much so i hope she hasnt got a tummy bug.

Are you sure its that shes hungry? Is she having it more as a comfort thing and her tummy is full already? Has she still been having wet nappies or have a temp?

Maybe try syringing a little bit at time. If it's a tummy bug all you can do is try and keep fluids up to her. Just try little bits at a time.

I found the 'spew threshold' for DS and cut his bottles back by 20mL - I found that worked well for DS.

Her last bottle was at 5:30. So she is hungry. We just gave her a bath which she slept through but then became really upset when we got her dressed so i made her a bottle. I almost got through it and up it came so we changed her, i got changed and i made another. The same thing happened again. She's having regular wet nappies, iv checked her temp numerous times and all read about 36.5 so normal.

The only thing thats different about her is shes been really cranky and didnt sleep very much today. She had 2 bottles earlier today which she took fine no puking at all.

:yeahthat: i agree with little bits at a time, some babies do just tend to spew a bit though.
    DD1 was a very spewy baby but she was a happy spewer... if you think something isn't quite right then it doesn't hurt to get her checked but bubs are constantly changing, she might spew for 3 days then be normal then 2 weeks later be spewy again.

How often is she feeding, more than normal? if so then i totally agree maybe it's a comfort thing, does she take a dummy?

Just keep an eye on her. Make sure she has wet nappies, try giving her small amouts at a time. After she has had a little bit give her a break so she can process that then try a little bit more.

She feeds every 3-4 hours during the day but at night its about 2-3 hours. She has a dummy which she only takes half the time, the other half you stick it in her mouth and she gags on it or pulls a face of disgust lol.

I might reduce her bottles down to 60mls again for a few days.

Although it would have looked like she threw up the entire bottle it's unlikely that she did. Was it smelly like it had been digested already or just plain milk?

My guess is that the second bottle was thrown up because she was over full. The first may have been something else. Has she been around anyway that has a bug? Is it possible she has reflux?

honey have u tried burping her? stop halfway and burp her she might just be windy or if it does keep happening try seeing a doc to see if she has reflux HTH

It smelt like milk.

SIL and her lot recently had a bug so she could have caught something. And we think she may have reflux because she has been a bit spewy and iv noticed she pukes and swallows it again.

And i always stop half way and give her a burp and a bit of a break.

i dunno this one was just different and there was a lot of puke it covered the whole front of her and was all over the front of me.

But i will continue to offer her bottles to keep her fluids up.

I found if mine chucked like that when really young, they didn't need the 2nd one (But it took me a while to learn that though ) It was an overful reaction.. But I would suggest cutting back the amount, and see how she goes. Are you demand feeding, or feeding by the clock, or a mixture of the 2?

I usto overfeed DS haha woops..... But i did learn that holding him settled him alot, maybe try holding her for 5 minutes without offering a bottle and see if she settles?

Quote Originally Posted by Doing my best View Post
    Are you demand feeding, or feeding by the clock, or a mixture of the 2?
    Yeah a mixture of both.

If demand feed, does she take more at some feeds then others? I found that my kids followed the same patterns as BF children even though they were FF. The might have 1 or 2 big feeds through the day and a few little ones, and often cluster fed through the afternoon, then a bigger feed at night before bed, and 2 or 3 feeds overnight..

Maybe the timed feeds, she just isn't ready for it.. Maybe another 1/2 hr when she is ready, she will take it on board.

You will both settle into a pattern soon..

I'd try stopping every 10mls or so to give her a burp for a minute or two and then giving her another 10mls and so on till she finishes or doesn't want anymore. It might just make it that bit easier for her to get it down. HTH

Eden always puked her bottles (and breastmilk) and she has reflux. It looks like its a lot more than it actually is, and I never made another bottle or tried another feed until she actually looked hungry, not just cos I thought she might have sorta emptied herself - if that makes sense?

Eden puked up a lot of breastmilk, and was better on formula - are you FFing or EBMing? For some reason Eden couldn't tolerate my milk and didn't gain any weight whilst I was feeding

I'm pretty used to vomit now, after having 2 babies that did puke all the time, and the paediatrician I saw with DS just said its not as much as you think - it just looks like heaps, and to just feed them again when they seem hungry (you know that nahhh... nahhhh.. nahhh cry)

My sympathies to you though - I hate vomit!!! Eden still vomits and she's 8 months old.. LOL