Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I feel like i have tried everything.. nothing is helping :(

Damn it lost my post...

Um...

I agree with the others if you have tried all of this stuff and still nothing then i would get her checked. Has she had a barrium meal test?

Also Just a quick story... My step dad lived with what he thought was GORD for 40 years and suddenly was convinced to get a check up and found he had a hiatus hernia. (not saying thats whats wrong) Just that without checking you can put up with this for a while and if there is a bigger issue OMG how bad would u feel if u didnt do everything to try to fix her up.

Lots of people have lazy sphincters.

Can i ask... What colour is the vomit?? is it chunky or just like milk?? How long after a feed does she throw up.

Also is she drinking ANYTHING? i would be worried about dehydration is she is only having such a small amount of milk.

Last edited by Je$$_84; April 1st, 2009 at 07:32 PM.

hrmm says u have replied jess but i cant see you post..

ahhh there it is!

Jess - the vomit is usually half digested.. so it gets to the stomach it seems. Its usually quite chunky looking and ranges from white to yellow. Has been like this since the day she was born.

whats a barrium meal test?

I hope this gets cleared up tomorrow, or at least a start on the right track. It must be awful for you.
    DS had issues with formula/spewing/reflux/pain too, it was a terrible time feeling like he wasn't getting anything.

holly do you burp her?
    my mum tells us all the time that with my sis it took her months to figure out NOT to burp her as she would vomit after a burp but if left she would just bubble along her self... iykwim?

maybe just another idea...

yep i burp her after every feed. I dont let her down until she burps atleast twice. If i dont, she burps by herself and spews over herself, so ide rather burp her on my knee, and have cloths ready.

If you havent heard of it then i would say GET ONE.... Its a test that they go to determine reflux or other digestive issues. Basically bubs drinks a liquid in his formula and then u wait and then bubs lays down under an xray type machine and they see what happens. The liquid makes them able to see the digestive system working and determine if she is refluxing or if there is another issue. Your Peas should have organised one... Well at least mine did with DS for his reflux.

A barium meal, also known as an upper gastrointestinal series is a procedure in which radiographs of the esophagus, stomach and duodenum are taken after barium sulfate is ingested by a patient. Barium meals are useful in the diagnosis of structural and motility abnormalities of the foregut.
    The gastrointestinal tract, like other soft-tissue structures, does not show clearly enough for diagnostic purposes on plain radiographs. Barium salts are radioopaque: they show clearly on a radiograph. If barium is swallowed before radiographs are taken, the barium within the esophagus, stomach or duodenum shows the shape of the lumina of these organs.
    Liquid suspensions of barium sulfate are non-toxic, apart from a small risk of producing a disturbance in bowel function for 48 hours after ingestion. They usually have a chalky taste that can be disguised by adding flavours.[1]
    A barium meal usually takes less than an hour. The patient ingests gas pellets and citric acid to expand the stomach. Barium sulfate is then ingested. The patient may move or roll over to coat the stomach and esophagus in barium. A needle may also be used to relax the muscle between the stomach and the duodenum. Following these preparations, an x-ray is taken.
    There are two varieties of barium meal: single and double contrast meals. A single contrast meal uses only barium, a radioopaque (or positive) contrast medium, to image the upper gastrointestinal tract. A double contrast meal uses barium as well as a radiolucent (or negative) contrast medium such as air, nitrogen, or carbon dioxide. The double contrast meal is more useful as a diagnostic test, demonstrating mucosal details and allowing the detection of small mucosal lesions such as diverticula or polyps.
    The diagnostic usage of barium studies has declined in recent years with the increasing use of the practice of endoscopy, which allows direct visual inspection of suspicious areas within the oesophagus, stomach and duodenum.

test results back, everything seems ok in the LI factor and everything else he tested for. Next step is to see another pead in shepparton but they cant get me in till after June so I called the RCH in Melbourne and they seem quite concerned and want me to get a refferal to see them assap (will get one tomorrow at 10am) and they will try and rush it through. If they cant they want me to take her to melb anyway and go through emergency.

Will keep you all posted on what goes on.

Thanks for your kind words girls, u seriously dont know how much it means to me.

holly glad things are on the move for you! hope you dont need to go the emergnecy route, but if you have to its for all the right reasons!!

Got a refferal today from my doc for RCH and he faxed it through. 10 mins later i get a phone call saying i need to take her to the RCH. Now i have an appointment for Tuesday at 3:45 pm. Im scared at what they are going to put her through what if we have to stay the night? they would let me stay with her right??????

I'm sure they will, but I know I would stay regardless of policy. She is just a wee wun!

Hollye, I'm glad you're getting some action on this finally. It's been so frustrating for you and taken so long to get anyone to listen.

DP has a friend who's eldest two children had reflux very badly and the second one needed an operation to stop the spews coming up and burning his oesophagus. It was a small twist in the oesophagus but he recovered very quickly and is perfectly fine now. Plus, I think his was needed because he wasn't properly assessed until he was over two years old and a lot of damage had been done.

I'm sure you get to stay with her when she's only so little, hun.

Hollye- they will definetly let you stay with her overnight. But only one parent can stay at nighttime. Hope everything gets sorted soon!

Oh Hollye Great news. I know it seems scary but you have been trying your best to get her help and its finally happening. Hopefully they can find the issie and get it solved. Poor Mia must be so sick of the vomiting by now. Its the most aweful thing. If u need a chat u know where to find me.

My DS has had 2 operations both only day surgury but they let you stay while they put them under then you go and wait and once they get to recovery you get called but usually only 1 of you at first. (not saying that your DD will need an op) My DS has also been kept over night and i was allowed to stay. Just try to relax and take it as it comes. Just think positively . So glad that things are finally being looked into. YAY...

Yes they should let you stay the night.
    Do you have any friends or family in Melbourne who could be at the hossy with you if you wanted them to?

DoubleK Guest

Hollye i hope everything goes well on Tuesday hun
    Last edited by DoubleK; April 3rd, 2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: forgot the e!!

Oh Hollye I'm so glad something is happening for you. I bet it must be so scary taking Mia to hospital, but its great they are taking it seriously. It will be much harder for you than for her.

Please let me know if you need any help on Tuesday- I am free all day and would love to help (and meet you and Mia!). I will PM my details.

thankyou so much girls.

Since i found out we are going, i feel lost. Dont know if lost is the right word. My head is just empty and im staring into space. If i think about it too much i cry... but its the only thing on my mind but my mind stilll feels empty

I dont know what feeling i have atm.. alot of everything really.. sadness, anger, fear.....

i just dont know what to say..

.................................................. ......................................

thank you so much for all ur support xoxoxox

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast