Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Immunisations gone wrong...

Very random from my part, but I tend to think of the bigger picture past just my child. Of course, her safety and wellbeing is my foremost priority in front of anyone else's but... Diseases like Polio wouldn't be so rare today (my father had polio as a child and endured painful streel leg braces for a great length of time) if it weren't for immunisations.

Just personally, I made the decision to have Maddy immunised but I feel at ease with having three family members who are in the medical industry and can provide me with information and advice (without badgering me into their personal views).

I would personally feel terrible if my child wasn't immunised, contracted something avoidable like chicken pox and then gave it to an adult who themselves had never been immunised. Shingles can be extremely serious in some adult cases, including paralysis.

If immunisation is as vital as we're told by the medical world they are, and I HADN'T had my chicken pox jabs as a child, I wonder how sick I really would have been when I finally got it at age 15. I was pretty darn ill, but maybe it could have been worse? My parents always joked I didn't do things by halves - I had measles at 18 months old and apparently all of my skin was swollen.

I can vouch for how bad toddlers can get chicken pox - my sister had them at 2yo and had them inside her nose, ears, anus and vagina. Anyway, it's not fair to give you all the horrible stories of what can happen etc and err on the side of vaccination. If you are really serious about it, get a copy of Just a Little Pr1ck which gives an unbiased view of immunisations because any info you get from your MCHn or Dr is going to be skewed in favour of it and make up your own mind about if it is worth it for your children or not.

In a recent court case in the US, the government conceded that current research suggested that the MMR vaccine may have activated an "autism-like brain disorder" in a child who is now developmentally delayed, and the family of that child were awarded damages.

It's probably too early to tell how that will affect immunisation policies world-wide, but we have elected not to immunise with the MMR for our girls, and to delay their other immunisations until they are older, and can get good seroconversion with one dose.

Thanks for posting that info Michael. It will be intersting to see what effect - if any - that this will have elsewhere. I am surprised though that they made that decision based on a 'may have caused' - thats a big gamble if you ask me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12