Thread: Naps?

Default Naps?

Hey guys,

My little one is 3 months old now and is awake for much longer periods of the day (she stays awake for 2 hours now at a time). The only thing is, she doesn't really nap for longer than 45 minutes - around every third day she will have a lunch time nap for 3 hours, but generally her naps last 45 minutes. Now, I know that their sleep cycles are around 40 minutes, and I have tried getting her back over to sleep sometimes when she wakes but she is bright as a button. Do you think she's just a baby who catnaps and functions well? She is really happy and bright when she is awake - obviously the closer we get to the next naptime, she can get a tad cranky but that is ok.
    So she has around 3-4 (sometimes 5) naps in a day and goes to bed at around 8pm at night, wakes a couple of times for a feed and then gets up for the day anytime between 6am-8am.

It seems to be working for us but I just hope that she is getting enough napping in the day time.
    Everything I read on the subject suggests that baby needs a longer nap around lunchtime - and sometimes she does this but generally not.

Not sure where I'm going with this but just wanted to get some reassurance and see what others experiences are of naps!
    Thanks
    Sue xxx

You are not alone hun, and what Evie is doing is perfectly normal. My DD did exactly what you described for the first 4 months, and like you, I just went with it cos it worked for us. I read in Sleeping Like a Baby by Pinky McKay that naps get longer the more active a bub becomes. And as she has been learning to roll and sit up, and play etc, it gradually happened by itself. So now, she has on most days, 2 1.5hour naps. I hth, and know that there is light at the end hun x

Thanks so much for the speedy response!!
    It is really reassuring to hear that. I really don't mind the short naps - I know that some people use the time to get housework and stuff done but I do that when she is awake and take her with me and chat to her (hehe, getting her familiar with the chores she'll be doing to earn her pocket money in the future hehe!!).

She is becoming so much more active and I guess it makes sense that she'll want more sleep when she becomes even more active than now.
    Thanks again hun.
    Sue x

Jackson did the same too. Only the last couple of weeks he's been having a good 1.5 - 2 hour nap in the morning and MAYBE one in the arvo. When he was around that age he'd have 20 minute little cat naps here and there. There have been a few times where he's been awake 6 hours straight

If she's tired... she'll tell you