Thread: Newborn dry skin - what should I use? A cream or oil?

Default Newborn dry skin - what should I use? A cream or oil?

I am expecting my baby in 9 weeks approx. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good baby moisteriser for that really dry baby skin that newborns get? I think I used apricot oil or something once and that was good.

Any suggestions?

plain old olive oil hun

if you do want a cream, get one that is free of propylene glycol and parabens

Baste the baby with olive oil! It works a treat. No crap in it either.

I'd use a nice organic baby cream. Ecostore and Miessence are lovely (Miessence is $$$ though). I don't like the baby looking oily and like it's about to be popped into the oven!

I only ever use olive oil for cooking so smelling it on the baby just seems wrong to me.

Thanks ladies Anyone else?

Extra Virgin Olive Oil doesn't smell, and it is full of the things babys skin needs. Its not gross or anything. DS looked like a wrinkled old man sometimes and it fixed things almost immediately!

DD2 was born with dry skin especially on her forhead/scalp i hightly recommend moogoo scalp care, fantastic for dry skin, and can be used all over

I'll vouch for the olive oil too
    I've used it on DD2 plenty to help with her eczema before it gets bad enough for her cortizone cream.
    I've also used the QV bath oils & wash, but they were also to help with DD2's eczema.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil doesn't smell, and it is full of the things babys skin needs. Its not gross or anything.
    I only ever use Extra Virgin, I'm half Italian and I know my oiive oil LOL. I can still smell it. I will admit that I do have a freakishly strong sense of smell though. I don't like an oily baby either but to each their own.

Yeah, its a good excuse to LICK them too

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Yeah, its a good excuse to LICK them too

LOL!

DS had (and still does) dry skin, and it was very dry at the beginning, he was born 10 days after his EDD.
    I used olice oil in his bath, and QV baby balm afterwards. I tried lots of creams, sorbolene etc, but found a greasier balm worked a lot better for us. I dont know, I think it kind of locks in the moisture, the same with the olive oil.
    It was (olive oil) awesome for cradle cap too.

oh my.. i use a devine cream. Its from the Johnsons soothing naturals range and its an intense moiturizing cream. Oh.. ohhhh ohhhhhhhh i love EVERYTHING about it. Ill try and find a pic for u.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...3&ppuser=13682

This cream has been a life saver. Mia's skin got sooo dry around 2 weeks and it cleared up about an hour after i out it on!