Thread: Slight rash after antibiotics

Default Slight rash after antibiotics

DS (17 months) has been taking antibiotics for the past 5 days due to a chest infection/possible early stage pneumonia. The antibiotics prescribed were double strength, 3ml three times a day. He'd had no problem with then, but last night I noticed a very, very slight rash (a few dots over his abdomen), but today it's spread so there are dots all over his back and tummy.
    He's otherwise fine (no fever, happy mood, etc), and the rash doesn't seem to be bothering him, not itchy or anything.

I was just wondering if this is just a mild reaction to the antibiotics, or if I should take him to the doctors? It's hard to tell, cause he seems perfectly happy.

Its possible. My DD1 breaks out in a rash similar when she has erythramycin.
    I'd have the doc check him over to be sure though.

Thanks for your reply. I might go to docs. I'll to go ask at the pharmacy. I'll see what they say.

My DS had a very similar thing a couple of weeks ago after having his first lot of antibiotics for an ear infection. Like you I was worried it might be a reaction to the AB's (or german measles) so took him back to the doctor. She told me that it was to do with the virus he'd had and it was his body having a reaction to it which was a good sign cos it showed that his immune system was over coming it. She also said that if he was going to have an alergic reaction to the AB's it would break out in the first day or two, not after four or five days. Hope this helps.

ETA. Meant to say that his rash disappeared the next day, from start to finish it was probably only there about 36 hours.

Well, I took DS to the doctors this morning, and he just put it down to a reaction from the antibiotics. He then checked DS's chest and said it was clear, so to stop the antibiotics and keep an eye on him.

I hope he's right. DS seems fine to me, but I can't help second-guessing doctors when DS is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by sterla View Post
    I hope he's right. DS seems fine to me, but I can't help second-guessing doctors when DS is involved.
    I know what you mean... From what I know if they are going to have a severe reaction to AB's it will happen within hours (if not minutes) of them having their first dose.