Thread: Thinking of getting swing set?

Default Thinking of getting swing set?

This mightn't be the right spot.. but can't see anywhere better?

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting my DS (nearly 2yo) a playsafe swing set (Target). Currently I've got SPD and have little mobility - so can't take him to playground/on walks/outings to shops. As you can imagine, I'm wracking my brains to keep my busy little fellow both occupied and happy (and to wear him out ). I feel like he needs some more outside time, so thought getting one of these might be a good solution both for getting through the next few months and then once we've got a newborn as well. I guess I just wonder if I'm being a bit too hair-trigger, i don't want to shell out on something that mightn't get the use or is overly extravagant. But I also figure that once my DD is older, they'll both get good use from it.

So do others have these or similar? Did your kids get much use from them? Anyone with that particular brand, did it wear ok?

TIA!
    Belfie.

hey hun have u seen the play gyms in the target catalogue? i think my DD is close in age to you ds and thats what im thinking of getting her, she likes the swing but doesnt like being in it for long..this play gym is 199 and has to slides either End its Awsome !

We have one of those green and yellow swing sets (you see them everywhere!) and it gets HEAPS of use . Not so much now it's winter, but when the weather warms up the kids spend a lot of time playing on it.

We actually got ours second hand and one of the swing's seats eventually cracked, but my DH luckily found the exact swing on the hard rubbish so we were able to replace it haha! I think it's pretty common for them to crack over time. Being outdoors they go a bit brittle. I think Hills make good quality swing sets, they have a warehouse somewhere in Melbourne and I'm sure it would be very easy to get replacement parts when needed.

I don't think you could go too wrong with a swing set anyway!

lol just had to go back and look at the catalogue again... I'm thinking of the one with the swing at one end ($299) but same page. I was tempted by the one you're looking at too - but just worried he'd grow out of it too quick!

EDIT: Just saw your post Trish... aah good to know yours gets good use! Thanks

hey belfie,

my little man is 2yrs now and i only just got one on Lay-by for christmas from big w with the trampoline on the side

If i thought he would have enjoyed it sooner (he hasnt been a big fan of parks) i would have bought one earlier.....BUT also within saying that majority of kids LOVE swings so i think its well worth it

Also as u mentioned better getting it now so eventually they BOTH can get the use out of it, i am thinking that way too myself get it now for DS and when this bubs comes along it will get use too!

mizqtie - it makes it hard to tell what they'll like huh. My DS isn't really into swings, but LOVES slides, hence i'm keen to get one with a slide. So saying, he's only just mastered climbing ladders, so will need some help with that to start.. but I'm sure he'll be a monkey in no time. I saw the one with the trampoline, looked v tempting I must say.

Anyway, I am decided - am rushing off to Target this arvo to make sure I get one no time like the present huh (especially since i'm kid-free atm).

yay!

Hope your DS enjoys it

I'm sure he'll love it.
    Both my kids love ours. DS was ready to have a go from the time he was mobile. Mine are on theirs every day it isn't raining. We are getting them the $899 climbing centre as well (there aren't any playgrounds that we can safely take them to around here).
    The learn to climb what they're allowed on soon enough.

swing sets are always fairly popular, but it can also be pretty annoying standing there for ages pushing them.. another option is a big trampline with a net around it?
    my kids get heaps of use out of it, sometimes we all just lie on it and watch the clouds and trees, plus it tires them out!
    i'll hang washing out on the line safe in the knowledge that it's netted so they're safe...
    just another idea!