Thread: Turned out foot when walking - should we be worried?

Question Turned out foot when walking - should we be worried?

Fred started crawling at 7 months and walking around the furniture at about 9 months. She is now 13 months and still wont walk unless she is holding our hands, pushing something or holding onto furniture. I was trying not to worry about her not walking, they all do in the end. But I noticed this morning that one of her feet is turned out 90 degrees but the other foot is faces forward when she walks holding our hands. Would this be causing her problems when she walks and should we get a Dr to have a look at it? She turns the foot out also when she is pushing a chair or her walker around the house as well.

She also has a bit of a funny crawl where she brings one leg up further than the other. It is hard to describe but she looks just a little bit lopsided when she walks or crawls.

Has anyone else seen, heard of this before?

My DD was exactly the same, she developed at about the same rate and had a turned out foot for a while. I saw an Osteopath and had her checked, but she assured me that it wasn't uncommon and as the muscles strengthen it will straighten. It did.

If you are concerned you could always get her checked out by an Osteopath, they are very gentle.

Thanks Junglemum - I was thinking of osteopath or a chiropractor. She seems to have great balance and strength but just isn't walking

I've noticed that my DS does something similar, but his foot probably only turns about 30-45 degrees. I've also only noticed it when he has shoes on (I think it makes it more obvious), but I have been meaning to have a look and see if he does it without shoes... I've also been wondering whether I should get it checked, but am just keeping an eye on it at this stage.

I wouldn't worry too much about the walking at this stage, they all do it in their own time. If you are worried though, maybe pop in and see your mchn.

If you're worried, you should get it checked. Peace of mind is priceless.

My DD2 was the same and didn't walk by herself till she was 14 mths. I asked my doctor and he said that they don't really consider it an issue until they have been walking for at least 3 months. As a previous reply said this must be the time it takes for the muscles to develop correctly. Needless to say she walks with both her feet straight now. I think it was resolved within about a month of walking.

My DD is doing the same,she didnt walk till about 16months and shes now 18 months and still has her right foot out turned,its mainly when shes wearing shoes,ive been keeping an eye on it but thought maybe id wait untill shes been walking properly a little while as shes really only got the hang of it properly about a month ago.I agree with the above posts just wanted you to know it seems to happen,my sis in laws girl did the same,maybe its a balance thing,but if your worried no harm getting it checked,thats what i will do if doesnt rectify soon.

Thanks everyone, I guess I will go and get it check out, just to appease my own worry

In all other ways she is very healthy and happy so I don't think there is anything seriously wrong.

My DD has one foot that turns out quite a lot too. My health nurse noticed it at our 6 month check up and recommended we see a pshysio which we did. The physio said they are more concerned with a foot that turns in than a foot that turns out and was pretty confident that it would fix itself up once she had been walking for a month or so.

Thanks Fi1980. Fred actually started walking properly on her own yesterday and both feet are looking normal - thank goodness. I guess it was just one of those things!

excellent.

that's great!