Thread: "The vaccine book"

Default "The vaccine book"

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get a hold of a book by Robert Sears called "The Vaccine Book" that I have heard is really good to read. Problems is, I can't seem to get it anywhere!

I've been trying to buy it as an ebook, but each time I try to buy it from a different site I get a message that it's not sold in Australia, and I can't get it.

Has anyone managed to get their hands on it? Is it worth the read? And how can I buy it? Lol!

I have it and it is DEFINITELY worth a read. Try amazon.com

I borrowed it from my library.

i got it from Amazon. Shipping was exxy from the states but i have found the book a great reference.

Have you found any GP helpful with obtaining specific vaccinations? I need to find a GP who will order but I get the impression it's not that easy. The health clinic or Immunization staff are not helpful at all

I am in Sydney

Oh, it's great to hear that it's worth a read! Now I want to read it even more! I don't suppose either of you girls that have it might want to lend it to me? I'd be more than happy to pay for postage both here and back. If not, then all good, I'll give amazon a go

newmamma - So far I haven't found a GP that gives the vaccines individually, but I have just found a GP that I really like (gosh it was hard!!!) and I might see if I can ring her and ask her over the phone. There are some vaccines that I'm not keen to give, but others that I would consider if I could get them individually. I know that my sister and I both had (different) reactions to the whooping cough vaccine, and I have concerns about giving it to my little man in case he has a reaction as well, especially considering that my sister's reaction has had lifelong repercussions... But now that I have found out that a suburb close to us has had a whooping cough outbreak, it's got me scared that Kyson will get it! So if I can get the vaccine for whooping cough by itself I think I will get him vaccinated against it. All the literature I've read suggests that getting them individually is less risky than the grouped ones...

i'd be happy to lend it to you, pm me your address. ( i will need it in about 3 weeks though, is that ok?)

Quote Originally Posted by KrystieLove View Post
    All the literature I've read suggests that getting them individually is less risky than the grouped ones...
    Hi Kristylove, I've been doing a bit of researching vaccinations too I haven't come across any info about single vax, do you have any links or can you tell me where you read about the single vax?
    I would like to have a read too. The more info the better I think!

Best you buy the book as it is good to have as a reference each time "vaccination time" comes up. I refer to mine constantly. Good luck!

Falguni - I'd love to borrow it if you are sure you don't mind. I will have a quick read and send it straight back to you! I'll pm you now You are a gem.

Willow - I still haven't found anything about single vaccines, but I was told recently that they may exist. I need to try to get in touch with the lady that mentioned it at my mother's group. She said that she knew of a doctor that gave vaccines individually and that she would find the name for me. Hopefully I can get in touch with her! I'll let you know if I have any luck.

The book I read which talked about the risks involved with combined vaccines is called "Well Adjusted Babies" and is written by Dr Jennifer Barham-Floreani.

Falguni, you are a treasure Thank you so much. I already received the book and have read the sections that are relevant to Kyson at the moment.

Just wondering (for anyone that has read it) what choice did you end up making about vaccinating? Have you stuck with the recommended schedule, declined vaccines all-together, or modified the schedule to suit your beliefs?

Willow - Unfortunately from what I can tell, there is no single vaccine for whopping cough (which is the one I was wanting, grrr).

HI,

I do not specifically know about the Whooping Cough but I did a lot of reasearch into the MMR vaccine and having that as 3 seperate vaccinations. My doctor was mor ethan happy for me to organise it, but you have to import it from NZ, as it is a live culture you need to get an import licence from the government, the cost in the end was around $3,000 for the 3. My doctor left it up to me but did reassure me that he believed it to be safe (i love my GP and in the end trusted his judgement!).

Not much help but I do know soem of them are available

Lisa

Oh I just found you can order the book online at angus and robertson. I'm going to get it now.
    Krystie- Let me know if you have any luck at all with the WC vaccine. As far as I know I can't get it individually either The smallest I can get is Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis.

Heaven - The smallest I can seem to find is the Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis combo vaccine as well. A bit annoying because I don't want to give him the Diphtheria vaccine and I was planning on delaying the Tetanus vaccine until he was older and more at risk, and when his immune system was a bit more mature.

I'd be scared to even just give him a Pertussis vaccine (if it was available) because I know my sister and I both had (different) reactions to it as kids, and apparently that puts Kyson at a higher risk of having a reaction too. But I've gotten a little worried about the risk of him catching whooping cough, especially considering that a nearby suburb has had an outbreak, and it's just a hop, skip and jump away from our area. Scary!

All these decisions are so hard aren't they!! DD hasn't had any vaccinations yet because I still don't know what to do!! Hopefully the book will help. It would be nice if we had options though i.e. single vaccines!!