Thread: Vaporisers

Default Vaporisers

My DD seems to be getting colds about every five weeks or so. I have been reluctant to give her any cold cough meds as I don't like the idea. Today I went to the chemist as a friend of mine suggested that a Vaporiser might help (DD has many nights of sleep interupted by coughing). Chemist did not want to sell me vaporiser but rather wanted to sell cough cold med. Was wondering does anyone use a vaporiser. If so are they effective and which are the best. I looked at a Vicks one online which seemed OK. Would appreciate any feedback. Hate seeing my DD unwell.
    Thanks.
    And would it be better to leave ducted heating on 18 overnight would this help cough?

Last edited by jmmum; June 27th, 2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: ? about heating

Hello - I dont have any first hand knowledge of vapourisers but I am really interested to hear people views on them as I getting one to use in DD room at night. My SIL has just started using one for her 18month old DD and raves about how fantastic they are. She says her DD no longer snuffles and gets blocked up at night and has started sleeping better.

I have a Vicks vapouriser and love it. The pharmacist actually suggested me getting one rather than giving me medicine. I can't remember the last time I had to give my DD1 medicine for a cold, the vapouriser will usually do the trick before it gets to that stage.
    As soon as I see the first sign of an impending cold, I have it on for my DD's, at night and during the day if need be.

Yup i'm like Jodi.
    We have a Euky bear one and we use the drops in it for DS when he has a cold, and have been using it for me since I have a cold and cough at the moment since I can't take drugs for it.

Invaluable when you have a young bub with a cold. We used it heaps and heaps.
    Just make sure you air the room out well during the day because mould can quickly develop on the roof etc.

They are fantastic. We have 2 Taav ones. We use the drops in them and it makes the world of difference. I don't like giving my 1 year old cough med either so we just use the vapouriser and it always helps so much. Def air the room during the day though. Things go mouldy quickly because of the excess moisture in the air.

HI I just bought a TAAV one this week after having some horrible nights with DD coughing all night along, amazingly enough it has helped her sleep and stopped the coughing so I am sold on it.......after months of coughs and colds one after the other I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will be my saviour!!!

Larin

Does anyone know how old babys have to be before using one in the room?

The vapouriser keeps moisture in the air - so as long as you don't position it right next to the cot - any age should be fine - if they are older though yeah a bit closer. And if for younger bub leave the door open all the way instead pulled to a it to keep it all in.

In canberra it can get very cold at night and I find vapouriser wonderful for keeping the chill of the air in my daughters room instead of leaving heaters on, or using portable fin ones etc. we just turn it on around 10pm before we go to bed. Not evey night of course, but when I can tell she is getting sniffly or has a night cough.

I have bad sinuses with preg especially and have been using it myself in my room the last week - OMG what a difference it has made to my sleep as well.

go for it I say! It is just steam.

Thank you Sam.

We have used it since around 5 mths too for colds and they are wonderful! Also one thing we have found is that the ducted heating dries the air terribly. We discovered that a few of our vents have a sort of shape in the bottom so we can pour about 2 cups of water in each one that can take it! This helps keeps the air moist while the ducted heating is on - you can also place a bowl of water over the top of the vent if you don't want to tip it in like we do! HtH!

Thanks everyone will be purchasing one tomorrow. Sounds like the Vicks one is the way to go!

for those withthe TAAV do you find that much steam comes out? wehave this one and I find it pretty useless so was thinking i would buy the vicks one...

I agree with jodi- Must have for little bubs... HAvent needed cough and cold meds for ages...

Using it now for me DD... Recommended by my GP when she got a cold at 2 weeks old. Can be used in a bedroom but must have ventilation ie... the door opened and not facing the cot maybe in the opposite side of the room... It can get quite warm in room with it on also..

I also use eucalyptus oil in it aswell as the vicks liquid.... just something different that also helps...

You can also put some vicks in a bowl of boiling water and leave it in the room... works well but doesnt last quite as long but ok for now until you get one

i have one for my 7 week old baby and it helps work well and u defintily need to air the room out during the day, but i only have a cheap brand one where do u get the vicks ones from because i wanted one of them when bought my one but all the chemist i went too only had one brand and they werent a well known brand please tell me what chemist u brought them from

thanks