Thread: Vax for four year olds - esp after info on spacing it out

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Lightbulb Vax for four year olds - esp after info on spacing it out

My DD will be turning four this year, so i would like to start getting myself educated on what the vax for four year olds are, and possibilities for spacing them out.

i think but am not 100%, that there are TWO shots for the 4yos.
    So i'm wondering, how long between them, would help my child's system?

i'm not medically trained, so i'm probably expressing this all wrong.
    I just want to do the shots safely for my DD, not give them to her all at once, if that is unsafe.

Is there anywhere independent, that i can find out about the shots, without the info having a bias? So far, what i've found (which has overwhelmed me) has been so blatantly biased in one or the other direction. i would like to read something neutral. I would love to read something that lays out a few options - not just "do vax" or "don't vax" as the options.

i'd love to hear from parents who have spaced out their 4yo's vax already, or are preparing to do so.

thanks

I found the information very biased on either side too- its really frustrating! I spent a fair bit of time reading one side, then checking their claims and then reading the other side and checking their claims. ie. Don't take their word for it that vaccinations include certain ingredients but check the current Australian vaxs used and have a look at some of the studies referred to- even just reading the abstract can reveal a lot (size of sample, controlled study etc).

We delayed vax (and skipped a couple) and also gave them one needle at a time. I spaced each needle at least a month apart to allow some time for the body to recover. This was based on my 'gut' though as I can't find good info on spacing vax. I did read one person claim a gap of 6 months was best to fully allow the body to recover before compounding it with another vax. You can also see a chiro at the same time to help move the fluids through the body and maintain/restore optimum health.

I found the ideas/info schmickers shared in this thread to be quite good: Alternatives to immunisations

Good luck

I found the information sheets the national centre for immunisation research and surveillance provides an excellent resource. Just gives the info and doesn't push either way. I will see if I can find the link for you.

Ok found it, also found out that at four years they are due for MMR, and DTP with polio.

http://www.ncirs.edu.au/immunisation...eets/index.php

Can also try this link which is the national immunisation handbook, a reference that all immunisation providers should have.

http://immunise.health.gov.au/intern.../Handbook-home
    Last edited by Little Chicken; July 18th, 2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: adding info

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

thank you both so much for your words and links, i really appreciate it. Off to do more reading!

i think, if i can't work it out, maybe i'll copy your idea MEOW, and get the two needles done one at a time, with a month space inbetween.

I'm presuming the timing of the vax is to get the kids done BEFORE they start school. My DD is 4 in late 2010, will be starting school in Feb 2012, so that gives me plenty of time (should i need more than one month between vax).

so at four, the schedule is:
    4 years

• Diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough (acellular pertussis) (DTPa)
    • Measles, mumps and German measles (rubella) (MMR)
    • Polio (inactivated poliomyelitis) (IPV)

the gov site refers to TWO injections, although THREE injections are inferred (unless the polio one is the pink stuff on the spoon that you swallow, like i had as an adult).

The Polio vax is, as far as I am aware, still the oral (horrid pink stuff on the spoon lol)

I think the polio is now actually part of the DTPa. I don't think they use the oral version at all anymore. But you can get it as a seperate injection.

Stand corrected

Thanks MIA...do you know when they changed it?

Can you update the other thread please? Some is asking about getting it separately...

What thread is that one? This is from the immunisation handbook I linked above.

(iii) Interchangeability of OPV and IPV: Oral poliomyelitis vaccine (OPV) is no longer in use in Australia. OPV and IPV are interchangeable. Children commenced on OPV should complete their polio vaccination schedule using IPV (IPOL) or IPV-containing vaccines.

From this page:

Immunise - 3.16 Poliomyelitis

It does say there is a seperate vaccine available, but it doesn't say if it is suitable for children less then eight years of age.

Quote Originally Posted by meow View Post
    I found the ideas/info schmickers shared in this thread to be quite good: Alternatives to immunisations

Good luck

This one MIA

Thanks for that limeslice, I also added a link on who to contact about what vaccines are available.