Thread: We've got the pox!

Unhappy We've got the chicken pox!

Well, this morning i got phone call from MJ's CC centre, she has the chicken pox

This is a question mainly for the non-immunisers - how did it make you feel when your child got sick?

I made a very informed decision NOT to immunise MJ against MMR and CP... i battled with the GP who did nothing but give me loads of mis-information and then very reluctantly signed my form... She is no longer my GP, but my current GP was booked out, so had to see her today as i needed a cert for work. Of course she raised her eyebrows at me and made a comment about immunisations - i had MUCH PLEASURE in telling her that MJ caught it from a child that HAD been immunised!!!!

I dont regret my decision at all not to have her immunised (yet) she is happy, well and just spotty (i first noticed them yesterday, but thought nothing of them as i didnt know of anyone who had CP).. I am hoping that she doesn't suffer too much with them.

My frieds that have immunised are sure to give me that i told you so look, i am going to have to tell DSS mum tonight and i am sure that she will have a go at me.
    What did you do in this situation.

Again, i dont need to be told the reasons why to immunise, i made my decision for all the right reasons IMO and before anyone preaches to me, remember that she caught it from a child that had been immunised...

thanks

oh i thought chicken pox and the pox was two different things?

hope you have a fast recovery

Sammiejane - it is noone elses business you have made the right decision for your family after much deliberation. Try to not let them bother you, as hard and annoying as it may be. Hope your DD gets better soon. xx

I'd feel a hell of a lot worse if I had vaccinated and they got it anyway, especially if the decision to vaccinate was made after much deliberation etc. And it shouldn't mean a thing to those who did vaccinate, because your DD probably has a stronger immunity to it now than what theirs do.

We're non vaxxers here too.....I wouldn't be too phased if DS got chicken pox. It's almost a childhood right of passage.
    There was never a vaccine around when we were little, most of us got chicken pox, we're still here.
    Your child caught it off a vaccinated child....kinda says it all really!

Quote Originally Posted by squidipa View Post
    oh i thought chicken pox and the pox was two different things?
    You are very right - i have amended my post thanks

Hope she's better soon!
    DS has had all vaccines except CP, but I'm planning to be a little more selective next time round.
    You've made your choice and I'm sure you have good reasons, having weighed the pros and cons, and no doubt you've factored in the risk of contracting the illnesses in question (accounting for the fact, also, that vaccines are not 100% effective in any case).
    You're always going to feel bad when your child gets sick, regardless of what you did or didn't do

Thanks for your well wishes guys

poor missy! hope she doesnt get too itchy!!
    u answered ur own question, and should tell everyone the same, even if kids ARE immunised against CP they'll still get it.
    We dont vaccinate either, we havent told many ppl because we cant be bothered with ppl thinking we;re the hippy sort who will eventually kill our children because of it.
    You know why u chose to not vacc and thats the most impotant thing

Pity you are so far away, I would bring DD over to rub some spots!

Hope she gets better soon, Pinetarsel and calamine lotion work wonders, and if it gets really bad, oven mits on the hands

Charlotte hasn't had ANY vaccinate-able (lol) illness yet, I am expecting her to get at least one, but nothing so far. Some I would be concerned and we have had 2 WC scares, but none has made me feel guilty or rethink y decision not to vax her. Especially Chicken Pox!! I would be thrilled if she got it, and with proper management there is very little chance it is harmful in the long term.
    (My only concern would be if she got German Measles when I was pregnant, but as I personally have immunity, it doesn't bother me)

Hope she is on the mend soon!

LOL LS - yeah, Pox parties use to be all the rage before immunisations!!!

I have been reading up on oatmeal baths and although i have got calamine and pinatasal, i think that i will grind up some oats tonite and give that a go...

Skybie - i know what you mean about the 'hippy' comment - isnt it ridiculous!!! the people that chose not to vac are usually the best informed on the matter as they take the time to make the decision instead of blindly following the crowd as i did when MJ was a newborn

make a teabag with the oats and an old stocking if you like.

Mine have had mumps so the HEALTH DEPARTMENT called me (OOOoooOOOO), but the lady was lovely and said I clearly had more knowlege about treatment etc than the Dr that reported it and obviously I knew what I was doing hehehe

Pox parties - that's why mum kept sending us round friend's places when they had chicken pox! didn't work though. when it went through our town I swear everyone got it but me and my siblings.

Illness is never nice but its part of life. The immune system cannot develop without it. And like someone else has said - her immunity to CP will be much greater and longer lasting than those who have received a mere vax to the illness.
    When my brother got CP as a kid, Mum put the rest of us in a room with him so we all got it at the same time, and were all back at school a week later.
    Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if big rich pharma brought out a vaccine for germs on hand rails and kitchen benches....
    Your little one will be right as rain before long. Keep trusting your gut!