thread: What can you tell me about Oconnell? (sleep school)

Jun 2008

What can you tell me about Oconnell? (sleep school)

What is o`connell family centre like?
    I am wondering what the residental stay will be like and what sort of methods they use.

Jun 2008

bump

Lucy in the sky with diamonds.

Jan 2005
    Funky Town, Vic

I went with DS when he was about 4 months. It didn't work out for us, but there is alot of support for you during the night which is good. It's also nice not having to cook for yourself, and the staff were lovely. We took walks around and there is a big lounge room for the babies to play.

I suppose it was controlled comforting or whatever. I was encouraged to pat him off to sleep and go in periodically to resettle etc. I could go in whenever I needed to, but it just wasn't going to work with DS - he didn't sleep properly till he was 2-3 years old. He was just one of 'those' kids! Sleeps like a TROOPER now though.

Give it a bash, you can always go home if you don't like it

DoubleK Guest

i took DD when she was 12 months old. i was desperate and was ready to give anything a go!

overall, i like the idea, the place is very homely like, the staff are supportive and always there.

its funny i found this thread actually, as i was thinking about our stay at o'connell the other day! (dd is almost 3 now!) i dont think we got any real benefit from our stay, my dd fed to sleep, which was the habit i was tryign to break. thinking back, leaving her to scream in a room that she didnt know breaks my heart now i wish i hadnt done it.also, i was extrememly bored by the end of the 2nd day, i ended up giving dd her dinner at like 5.30 pm (we never ate till 7pm at home) and then bath and bed just because i could not sit there and do nothing for any longer!!

i guess its what you make of it. i say give it a go, just personally.. we didnt benefit, but im sure a lot of people do. while i was staying there, there was a lady there with her twins, just for a bit of help, i think she was exhausted, and needed some support.

Jan 2005
    Funky Town, Vic

The thing that annoyed me was all the women in there with babies that slept FINE at night but didn't have day naps....boo fricken hoo I thought.

Jun 2008

Haha Lulu, mine does sleep fine at night (well if you consider waking every 2 hrs at 4 mths fine), but has day issues - among other things.

Krystal Ball, thanks for the tip - I will remember to take a book or 2 with me

Does everyone arrive at the same time at the start of the week stay?
    Im really not sure what to make of it all, but I`m pretty sure I wont be leaving DS to cry for very long. I think that can be suitable for some babies, but I have never felt it was the thing to do with him.

Jan 2005
    Funky Town, Vic

Not sure - I got in on a cancellation so zoomed in a bit late.

Tee hee, nah these ladies had older babies - and they just didn't sleep looong enough for them.....and here I was with a bubs screaming 24/7!