Thread: what temperature should ds be?

Question what temperature should ds be?

ds's forehead feels really warm so i took his temp.
    he's 38.5.....is that too high?
    what temp should he be?
    what should i do?

he's been sleeping heaps and seems a little whingey but other than that he's fine

I just got this from the kidshealth website.

If your child is between 3 months and 3 years old and has a fever of 102.2? Fahrenheit (39? Celsius) or higher, call the doctor to see if he or she needs to see your child. For older kids, take behavior and activity level into account. Watching how your child behaves will give you a pretty good idea whether a minor illness is the cause or if your child should be seen by a doctor.

The illness is probably not serious if your child:

* is still interested in playing
    * is eating and drinking well
    * is alert and smiling at you
    * has a normal skin color
    * looks well when his or her temperature comes down

And don't worry too much about a child with a fever who doesn't want to eat. This is very common with infections that cause fever. For kids who still drink and urinate normally, not eating as much as usual is OK.

Hope this helps I hope DS is feeling better soon.

Edited - The Dr told me when Harry had a temp that Nurofen for kids is great for getting their fever down fast, and then panadol for kids is good for keeping it down. I'd suggest trying to get the temperature down before doing anything. If the temperature hasn't changed in an hour or so, that's when I would seek further advice.
    Last edited by Lisa; June 21st, 2008 at 10:59 PM.

thank you so much lisa

A normal temperature for an infant that age is between 36 and 37 degrees. 38.5 degrees is a fever.

Combined with the fact that your DS has been more sleepy than normal and has been whingy, and I'd say he has an infection of some kind. Have you noticed any other signs or symptoms? Anything else he is doing that is out of the ordinary? Any rashes?

no he hasn't got any rashes or any other symptoms.
    just lots of sleep and very clingy.
    he has also been wanting to breastfeed a lot.
    today we have given him nurofen and panadol and he seems a lot better.

Keep up the breastfeeds and cuddles Gracie , and the Panadol if his temp is still high. If it's not resolved soon I'd head off to the Dr to check that there's nothing he needs anything else for.

Poor Lewis, it's awful when they're sick. I hope he's better soon.

Poor Lewis, and poor Gracie!!!N has also had a low grade fever the last day or so and has been a bit off his food, we have just been watching him... we usually give panadol if the tempgoes over about 37.5 or persists for a while - we also try tepid bath/flannels and dress him cooler than usual - and give as many bfeeds as possible!!! hope he is feeling better today.

Is L feeling better today?

thanks ladies

he still seems a bit down and out. he's not crying but just not his chippa little self.
    i tried to get him into the drs but they're all booked out for today. they told me to bring him in tomorrow if he's still unwell.
    he's asleep on my lap right now. i've given him nurofen and his temp has gone down.

You are doing all the right things Gracie
    I hope he starts to feel better soon.

guys i'm pretty sure ds has got roseola.
    his temps seem to have gone down today but he has been very clingy and upset.
    then when dp was dressing him after his bath he noticed a rash near his navel and on his lower back. it is light in colour- sort of like little pimples without heads.
    i rang the mchn hotline and they said it sounded like it was most likely roseola and to get him checked out by the drs first thing in the morning.
    what do you guys think?

You can take him to the Dr to be sure, but if it is roseola I'm pretty sure there's nothing much they can do for it. And if the rash has come out, I'm guessing (?) that he's through the worst of it now. Here's hoping Gracie! Poor little tyke.

Don't stress about it hun, you've done all the right things. But yes, if you're still concerned then take him to the Dr by all means.

thanks janie, i'm taking him to the dr this arvo. hopefully he's better soon.

hope he gets better soon. man these little guys pick up everything dont they!