123 ...

thread: What is your view on ear piercing bubs?

Add SeppyM on Facebook

Jul 2011
    Melbourne

What is your view on ear piercing bubs?

Hi all,

Our DD is nearly 6 months old. I am of Italian background where it is quite common practice to pierce little girls ears early, generally during their first year. Its seen more of a sign of adorment of the female, and i personally think it looks cute. I would like to get DD's ears pierced prior to her baptism (end of June), BUT DP is dead against it (says she'll look silly, she'll be teased, doesnt like the look of it etc etc). Would love to hear your opinions!

TIA xxx

Jun 2010
    District Twelve

Oh my Seppy!

You have just opened a HUGE can of worms

There have been a few threads about this very topic which uuummmm, got a little uuuummmm....heated.

But in answer to your question, no, I don't like it on babies or young children at all. My DD had to wait until she was eight. If I had my time again, I would wait even longer.

Feb 2006
    Mornington Peninsula, Vic

I am not a fan of it. DD wont be allowed to have hers done until she is 13, understands the process, the pain, etc, etc. i always think of how much mjne hurt when I got mine done. only my opinion tho....

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

Hi Seppy, there was another thread similar to yours a little while ago called 'When did you get your Daughters ears pierced' (I can't attach the link for some reason). I got my DD done at 4 yo and she says it hurt. She wanted to change her earings and sadly I couldn't get any back in, so they have closed now & she is in no hurry to get them re-done! I know some places in Victoria won't allow them to be done under 1 yo now (we are in the Sth East Suburbs and my cousin couldn't get her DD anywhere until she turned 1 yo. We are from European backgrounds so usually it is done when they are babies)

Oct 2006
    In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

I do piercing and won't do it til they are 5. Number 1 reason is that ears can grow and are never even, I have had to re pierce lots of ears that were done young and ended up uneven. Number 2 reason at 5 most understand not to pull them, seeing a little toddler with a ripped earlobe is not nice.
    I have had lots of mums get angry at me because I won't take their money and do it

Add TeniBear on Facebook Follow TeniBear On Twitter

Oct 2009
    Lalor, VIC

Nov 2007
    Country Vic - West of Ballarat

I'm not a fan of babies having pierced ears. My DD won't be getting hers done until she is a) old enough to understand what getting your ears pierced entails b) is old enough to understand how to look after her ears and earrings to avoid infection.

I had my pierced when I was 5 and I understood what was happening, but we will wait until she starts asking to have it done and take it from there.

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

What a can of worms

For me, not a fan. I think it looks...I can't think of a word that isn't insulting. I think it detracts from a little baby/little girls beauty. Too grown up looking and I don't want to put holes in my daughters ears until she's in school and has been asking constantly for a while.

Apr 2009
    Perth, WA

Im of the opposite opinion - I love seeing pierced ears on little girls, I think it looks adorable.

But.... my sister and I both had ours done when we were about 6 months old as did my sisters 3 girls.

Just my personal opinion, I understand why some people choose not to it before a certain age however its not an issue for me.

xxx

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2010
    North West Victoria, Australia

I know kids who have had it done within months of birth and I'm not a fan. I can see both sides of the story, but having a 1yo myself.... She's not getting done til she's 13.

Add TeniBear on Facebook Follow TeniBear On Twitter

Oct 2009
    Lalor, VIC

Okay, okay, jokes aside, I should actually answer the question. I know it might lose me some fans/friends here, but quite simply - I think it's cruel. I hate seeing babies of any gender with unnecessary modifications to their body. This is from someone who's had her own ears (and nose, and belly button) pierced multiple times, has a few tattoos, etc., so don't think I'm against body modification overall. Just those done to people who can't choose for themselves.

My age limit is maybe five-ish, and only when/if they ask and understand that it's going to hurt and they have to let me help them take care of the piercing.

Let the flaming commence

Dec 2007
    Geelong

I'm of Italian background too so it was presumed I'd get the girls done as babies but we didn't. DD10 had hers done last year for her birthday, she wanted them done and can look after them herself.

Regards,
    Dianne

Add No.5 on Facebook

Jan 2007
    Brisbane

I don't mind it. I probably won't get my daughter's pierced (if I have a girl) til later.

My sister and I had ours done as babies. I have let mine close up now but my sisters favourite thing are earrings!

At the end of the day, like anything to do with parenting, everyone will have their opinion, but it's your child

Dec 2007
    Victoria

Neither of mine will be getting piercings in their ears until they are over 13. I don't like it and don't think it is appropriate.

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Sep 2011

I'm not a fan. I think it detracts from the baby and looks tacky. I also think that the child should make that choice and not have it forced upon them.

May 2011
    Adelaide

Personally, I'm not a fan of babies getting their ears pierced. I got my ears pierced when I was 5 because that's when I asked to have them done. My parents explained it would hurt a little bit and I still wanted it done so they figured if I was old enough to ask for it they were ok with getting it done. I will be doing the same thing with my little girl. She may not ever want her ears pierced so it's not something I'll decide for her.

Oct 2004
    In my Zombie proof fortress.

Another non-fan here, I personally do not like the look of them on babies and also I have concerns about safety/management of them etc

Age 10 is what we are saying at the moment for DD1 if she wants to get them done (she is pushing now ). I just don't feel she is ready now, or responsible enough to look after them, plus I can see DD2 just yanking them out.

Jan 2009

This is a 'here we go again thread'! My views are I personally hate it - I wouldn't pierce my baby/child's ears. It will be their choice when they are old enough. That is how I feel, I realise others will feel differently and that is fine.

123 ...