thread: When does baby "get" gentle?

Add sepata on Facebook

Sep 2011
    Sydney

When does baby "get" gentle?

Pretty much as the title says. I know it's different for all bubs, but around what age do they start understanding it and trying to be gentle? I feel like all I say to DS these days is "soft touch, soft touch" and stroking my face with his hand, and his face with my hand. He's 10mo today - is he still too young to get the concept?

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

DD is 11 months old, and occasionally gets gentle. Mainly with the cats. If she's being rough, I'll take her hand and say "gentle" while getting her to softly stroke whatever she's being rough with. It really depends in we mood and if she wants to muck around or not. Like I said, for some reason she's more prone to being gentle with the cats (lucky cats!).

Add ~clover~ on Facebook

Sep 2007
    travelling

My DD was from memory, around 10-12 months when she started to get it. But now she's a bit older (19 months) she's decided she can also choose to ignore it.

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

i am still saying it, and demonstrating, to my 2 year old. my guess is about 4

Dec 2008

Yes, I think he's too young to understand gentle. I'm not sure when it finally sinks in but my 14 yo DS still doesn't understand!

Sep 2009

DD is 2 and gets "gentle" in respect to herself like when I'm brushing her hair I get "gentle mum gentle" in respect to anyone else...........that's another story, though the dog is luckier than the rest of us lol

Add sepata on Facebook

Sep 2011
    Sydney

Awesome, thanks ladies. I knew he wouldn't instantly be touching everything softly, just wondering when I can look forward to one soft touch followed by a series of slaps lol

Mar 2007

They go through phases with all that I find! Sometimes they will listen, other times they won't ! (once the concept is realised that is) my 11mth old has just worked it out but wondering if it will last..... she's much more gentle than her big sis in general too. Some kids are generally 'rougher' and less gentle.

Add Sterla on Facebook

Jun 2008
    Tasmania

DD is 12 months (just) and I've just discovered that she now knows what it means. Now when I say it she puts up her hand and makes a stroking motion (it's always been in reference to stroking the cats).

Oct 2009
    surrounded by textbooks, cat toys and love

My DS is another one who was taught how to be gentle with cats. If he's hitting something and I say ''gentle pats'' then he'll pat whatever it is gently. Sometimes this is also followed by another round of whacking. But I still count it a victory