Thread: ATO and change of name?

Default ATO and change of name?

I have just realised that I forgot tho change my name with the ATO when I got married. So now my group cert is in my married name and my tax is still in my maiden name. C**P!!
    DH lodged my tax return before i realised and now i think this is delaying my return as DH has got his back and they were done the same night.
    How do I go about getting this sorted sooner rather than later... i know i need to send my marriage cert etc.. but since it's already lodged??

I changed my surname over the phone
    I just called them they verified who I am and then they changed it.
    I recommend calling them and letting them know and changing ur name that way

There's a question on the tax return along the lines of "have you changed your name since you last lodged." You should have answered that question when completing your return. But if you didn't, just ring them. They usually are pretty good. You will probably need something from them for ID purposes such as an old assessment.

Yep, as Rowellen said there's a question on Etax for you to complete if your name has changed. If you haven't done that I'd give them a ring

When i changed my name ( a few years ago now), they did it over the phone.. When I commented the guy said to me "we trust you until you give us reason not to".

So unless things have got really tight, it is a really simple task..

I changed mine at the taxation agent when doing our tax. It was easy. I had 2 different group certificates, one in my maiden name and one in my married name. It was all cross referenced with Centrelink where my name change had been done already.

All done
    My DH did my tax so I really couldn't tell you what questions were asked
    Now to sit and wait for that long awaited money

well done. Just remember, to them, you're just a number And your group certificate has your TFN on it

I had to have a giggle at the message on the phone...
    The Australian Tax office is able to request your TFN however if you can chose to decline to give these details.
    Ummm.... doesn't the tax office have my TFN anyway??? lol