Thread: Budgeting Software - I used to use MS Money but that is discontinued

Default Budgeting Software - I used to use MS Money but that is discontinued

So we have a new computer so I thought before I transfer MS Money onto it I would check out if a new version - and found out Microsoft are no longer selling it. I can still put the old version onto the new computer but just wondered if maybe I should switch to someone thing else while I am at it. All I basically use Money for is to put in all transactions and then reconcile and keep a track of where we are at across all accounts - I don't really use the budgeting but I do review monthly expenditure on it.

Could you just use an excel spreadsheet?

I use excel too... enter in all of my transactions (copy and paste from online banking) format, add an extra column at the end for what the transaction was (i.e. petrol, supermarket, insurance etc ) and then I create pivot tables from the data.. This way I can see exactly how much I have spend each month on the different categories.. which I can then reconcile against my budget (or should I say..see how much I have gone over my budget!!)

Saying that I have always wanted to try one of the money management programs, so I will have to watch this thread. I have tried Quicken, but I didn't like it.

I use Quicken and it does a pretty good job. Does all the transactions and reconciliation. Keeps all my expenses in categories that I can report on see where I'm spending too much money I use the budgeting and investing features as well. I have used Money in the past and preferred that interface over Quicken's but went with Quicken because I couldn't find a current Australian version of Money.