thread: CCB &CCR whats the diff?

Sep 2008
    Gold Coast

CCB &CCR whats the diff?

OK, so I have not done my taxes for 2 years, and because I am self employed, I have not claimed any of my child care rebates, I have just paid the full whack ($190 per week).
    I just got my returns back from the accountant and have put mine and hubbys deets into the the estimator and the 2 different amount come up.
    What are they? which one will I get back?
    Also, FTA and FTB, says that I qualify but hubby doesnt.
    What does that mean?
    I am getting a liitle excited, and am sure the bubble is about to burst........
    TIA

Jan 2009

***Mods ***We should make a sticky for this as this question comes up alot

CCB is child care benefit. This is income based. You receive a % based on your total family income. This is the amount that comes off your fees with the centre prior to you paying, you then pay the gap.

CCR is child care rebate. This is tested according to the work/study test. If you put in work/study test on the FAO website it will give you more info. If you are elligible (which you should be) you will receive 50% of the gap amount you should pay, to the service on top of CCB. So even if you earn too much to get any CCB, you will get 50% (up to the yearly cap which I think is around $5000???) of the gap paid back. So even if you don't qualify for CCB, as long as you qualify for CCR, you will get $95/week of your fees back for the year.

If you've nominated not to receive either of these payments, you will get a lump sum back at tax time (is this last years tax?)

BG will give the finer details of how the part A and B thing works I imagine.

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

ok ftb - it's a family payment, so only one of you can claim
    ftba has income threshold around 101k combined for both you and hubby, then you get nothing
    ftbb has to have higher income on less than 150k, and is then based on lower income earner - if you, as lower income earner, are under about 24k for the year, you may get something. the thresholds this year are different to what they were the previous two years - so your estimate will be a bit out

ccb - benefit - is income based - it's payable up until your combined income is about 138k this year (would have been less in previous years) - based on income, you get a percentage of the basic rate (at the moment it's 3.78, less in previous years) per hour. ccb is paid at that amount and then you pay the difference. everyone is entitled to 24 hours of child care benefit per week (no activity test) - if you meet the work study training test for at least 15 hours per week though, you may be entitled to 50 hours (and in some cases more than that). if your income is over the income threshold (around 138k this year) you would qualify for ccb at zero percent

ccr (rebate) is not income tested - but IS activity tested. you have to be meeting the work study training test for at least 1 hour per week to qualify for the rebate. the number of hours you qualify for relates directly to the number of hours of ccb you qualify for. ccr is half of your out of pocket costs after ccb has been calculated - it is capped (7500 maximum per child per year) - there are several ways to have it paid, but given you're looking at previous years, i won't go into that!

if you're doing a lump sum claim for previous years, you'll need to make sure your child care centre have your crn and your DS' crn so that they can submit usage

when you do your lump sum, they'll likely send you a letter saying it's been processed but can't be paid at this time - this is generally because they need additional information (child care usage) and confirmation of income (direct from ATO) so it can take a while after FAO process things

hope that helps!

Dec 2006

***Mods ***We should make a sticky for this as this question comes up alot

i've spoken to Astrolady this week - there are lots of changes at the moment, so i'm going to type something up with links to the info on the new human services website and a simple explanation of it all. just haven't done it yet - bad week in the BG house!

Sep 2008
    Gold Coast

THankyou both so much for that
    So BOOOYAHHHH is that right? Cause the machine gave me some pretty warm and fuzzy numbers
    Daycare have my CRN, but I elected not to claim anything as I was not sure how much we would earn.
    My accountant said that it would take about 2 weeks for the tax office to get in contact with centrelink.
    Does it matter that I have not contacted centrelink for 2 years? Do they need proof of my working hours, (I am self employed)
    Thankyou!!!

Dec 2006

have you been on the system and on zero rate for both CCB/CCR and FTB?
    if you have, it will all happen automatically - if not, you'll need to do lump sum claims.

Sep 2008
    Gold Coast

have you been on the system and on zero rate for both CCB/CCR and FTB?
    if you have, it will all happen automatically - if not, you'll need to do lump sum claims.
    Yep, I think so, I got my baby bonus and then I claimed 6 months of childcare, (where I got the CCR and then got the CCB quaterly), then they sent me the income estimate form and I didnt fill it in and they just cut me off.
    So I gave daycare all of my CRN and just ticked the deal with it at the end of the year boxes

Dec 2006

yeah that sounds about right for the ccb stuff - for ftb, you may have to do claims though - can you have a look at your online services and see if it has anything under payment details - it will say something like "previous payment 0.00 on x date, next payment 0.00 on y date" - if you are current on the system. otherwise you'll need to do lump sum claims for both years

Sep 2008
    Gold Coast

Yep, I think so, I got my baby bonus and then I claimed 6 months of childcare, (where I got the CCR and then got the CCB quaterly), then they sent me the income estimate form and I didnt fill it in and they just cut me off.
    So I gave daycare all of my CRN and just ticked the deal with it at the end of the year boxes
    ETA, I have not filed a tax return since DS has been born, so never got FTA or B

Dec 2006

you'll need to put in claims for both the last two years - do it asap for the 09/10 year if your incomes will qualify you - if you don't put it in by the end of this month, you'll lose eligibility for the payment

Sep 2008
    Gold Coast

OK, will do, thats a center link thing right, I can do that online?

Dec 2006

yes indeedy - go to your online services, menu option apply for a payment, make a claim, parent or guardian (it's wordier than that - but meh! near enough lol), then you'll need to do two applications - one for 09/10, one for 10/11 - then do another after july 1 for 11/12 - or you can do that one now too - and just estimate incomes for 11/12

Sep 2008
    Gold Coast

I briggsy's girl

Thankyou
    xx

Dec 2006

you're welcome