Thread: combined income + HELP debt repayments

Default combined income + HELP debt repayments

I did my tax a few weeks ago with the pre fill thingo got back exactly what was estimated no problems. Now today I did DH's (manually as the pre fill wouldn't work for some reason) and the estimate came back saying he owes $1300 as a compulsory HELP repayment.

Now I'm a bit confused...are compulsory HELP repayments calculated on combined income?

From what I can see on the HELP website the threshold is $43,151. But DH only worked part of the year so his gross income was below that. Our combined income however is above $43,151. But then if it goes on combined income why didn't I have to pay some of my HELP debt back too? Is it something to do with me being exempt from the Medicare Levy (as I earnt under the threshold) but he isn't?

Yeugh.....my head hurts. Was hoping to spend our FTB reconciliation on some stuff for the house, looks like it'll be used for this now LAME!

I dont think it is based on the combined income, combined my DH and I earnt over $80 000 combined, I have a HELP debt and I earnt under the threshold so the repayments I had made over the year got returned to me. I would wait and call the taxline and get some help before you submit.

I agree with Ali, I'd give the ATO a call an check first - it sure doesn't sound right to me! Especially as when you are over the threshold for HELP repayments they are taken straight from your pay, rather than a lump sum at the end. I'm thinking maybe the issue has come up because you couldn't do the pre-fill, so it's not picking up the correct details of your DH's HELP debt

Interesting....thanks for your help ladies. Might try doing pre fill again today before calling and see if that makes a difference.