Thread: Internet phones? BoB? iinet?

Question Internet phones? BoB? iinet?

Ok so over the last few years i have been thinking (yes i know!) about internet phones. my mum uses one in the UK and is happy with it.

Now we are on one wage im looking at ways we can save some extra cash and out phone bill seems to be one.

we are currently with Telstra, who i have no problems with, but my bill with internet and Foxtel (we will be cancelling) is mounting up to over $250 per month

surly internet phones will be cheaper? what other deals some with it, can i get any extra channels? all i really want is Eastenders lol.

we also just brought an internet ready TV so i got a router that is super dooper (??) and will have good quality for transfering movies to the TV from computer and also serve for a internet phone

I would like to know if any of you use this service and what you think of it,

Did it make a difference to your monthly bills?

We have an internet service thru Internode, it costs us $50 a month including $10 worth of calls and 10gig (i think) of download. Local and interstate calls are 18cent untimed, any time of the day but im not sure on what price overseas calls are.
    We have had no problems at all with the phone service.

Loula - telstra is offering a new service with bigpond tv and stuff for some really good prices, it's worth going into a t[life] shop and chatting to them.

I used to have VOIP through Engine with iiNet and it was quite good - you have to pay extra for an incoming phone line though with some service providers. Voice quality generally very good, but keep in mind it is over IP so if you've a dodgy data line etc it will eat into your data usage.

I'm very technology challenged lol, can someone please explain how they work? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycee View Post
    I'm very technology challenged lol, can someone please explain how they work? TIA
    You and me both hun, i called a company today and the man was going on and on and on about all these codes and stuff i had no idea!

We have had voip and adsl2 for at least a year now with iinet and have had no problems. Our internet is $50/mth and all calls are free, except for mobiles, overseas and 13 numbers which are at a good rate. Our bill is now around 60-70/mth which is a lot less than we used to pay.
    You have to buy a modem and voip phone (don't get the iinet phone - its junk... actually they have bob now, maybe thats better). I have no idea how much it costs these days but I think it was about $200 for us - if you have the knowledge you could of course shop around.
    Your phone plugs into your modem - instead of the wall (freaks visitors out because the dial tone is different). Other than that it is exactly the same as using a normal phone.
    I'm trying to think of what else to tell you. can't think of anything. Its been a good saving.

Just subscribing I'm interested in this too

So how would or could internet phones/VOIP work with the internet USB sticks?

iinet are very good, but we had a bob for a while for our business and it was useless. Even with the phone on the charger all the time the battery would go flat as soon as the phone rang so you couldn't even answer it. Iinet have other options though, and they have very good service which is a bonus if you need lots of help.