Thread: Threat to HBAC in Australia - Investigations Underway - Please Help!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Threat to HBAC in Australia - Investigations Underway - Please Help!

There is a FB group with all the details:

Save HBAC in Australia (Facebook)

"I am seeking your urgent assistance to challenge a landmark case of a Western Australian homebirth midwife's investigation for accepting a VBAC client.

If left unchallenged, this case will create a precedent which will make it impossible for any registered midwife in Australia to accept a VBAC client for homebirth."
    Last edited by BellyBelly; June 27th, 2011 at 11:17 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

bump bump

This idiocy has rendered me almost speechless, only swear words remain in my vocabulary.

It's all effed, it really is. Women will just start freebirthing or having 'accidental' HBAC where they wait too long without support because the idea of going to hospital is more terrifying than staying at home..

Why can't we intelligent women make informed decisions about out bodies, our babies & our births without being told what to do??

Agree Winter.

*Sigh*

I've drafted a letter (borrowed heavily from the one posted on that FB page) adn would appreciate any suggestions/amendments. Anything else to say?
    Ta~

I am writing to express my concern about the case currently under investigation regarding a West Australian midwife who accepted a homebirth client who had previously had a caesarean birth.

It is my understanding that the grounds for placing restrictions on her practice are that she put her client at risk by accepting her as a homebirth vaginal birth after caesarean (VBAC) client.

Homebirth after caesarean (known as HBAC) is an established part of private midwifery practice and has been so for many years in Australia. The midwife followed all of the requirements set out in the Australian College of Midwives’ (ACM) Guidelines regarding consultation and it was the woman’s informed choice to refuse obstetric care in hospital and birth at home.

I am extremely concerned that this case sets a dangerous precedent, whereby midwives will not be able to accept VBAC clients for fear of losing their registration. This leaves VBAC women, many of whom have experienced birth trauma, with no choice but to submit themselves to hospital practices they may not be comfortable with, or give birth at home without a registered midwife.

Perhaps more importantly, this would set a dangerous precedent for women’s rights as it seeks to deny fundamental choice and dictate terms to women simply because they are pregnant.

I am a woman who had a traumatic birth due to unnecessary medical interventions (dictated by our doctor and compounded by the ineffectual care of midwives we did not know), and subsequently went on to plan a homebirth with the Community Midwifery Program. Having experienced both models of care, I truly believe that continuity of care with a known midwife is the gold standard for birthing mothers. More than that, it is the woman’s right to choose where she wishes to birth, and with whom she chooses to care for her. Being pregnant should not strip a woman of her right to autonomy over her body, nor does it leave her unable to make the best choices for her baby. When we allow hospital administrators or politicians to make choices for mothers we presume that not only are they better able to act in the best interest of the mother and child, but we disregard a woman’s right to control what happens to her own body.

The investigation against this midwife appears politically motivated and baseless – particularly considering that the parents and baby concerned are well and happy. I ask that you reinstate the midwife immediately so that she can get back to her job of supporting women to birth safely at home.

Yours sincerely,

Great letter Marc, good on you for taking the time to write.

Does anyone know where I can find information about the investigation other than the facebook page? I would like to have read about it from another source so I know what I am writing my letter about specifically and I can't find any links to an original source.

Argh, this just exhausts me. WHY does a basic right have to be a battle. Why must a beautiful thing like birth become a battle ground. Why does a woman, during preparation for birth, who should be turning inward to the beauty that is within her have to stand her ground and face a battle ground to protect her baby, her body and her wishes. I remember how scarred I felt when pg with #2 knowing I had to face the battle. I remember how relieved I was to get what I wanted/needed. It should not be like this.

ETA: oh, and awesome letter! I'm trying to put one together now.

Things have not gone well

Moving on | Facebook

surrounded by textbooks, cat toys and love

Oh no. This is so disheartening

Hoping and praying for something positive to happen here... please let something positive happen...