Thread: 13 March 2008 - Shell_120308 little star was born

Default 13 March 2008 - Shell_120308 little star was born

I was suffering from 2 days in early stages of labour with contractions averaging every 7 minutes or so, I went to the hossy and was told that I wasn't yet in established labour. On Wednesday night the contractions started to get stronger and unbearable and at 8:45pm, I got off the lounge and my waters broke (and I tell you what you know when your waters break!!!!) so I walked very slowly but quickly to the toilet and then my mucous plug completely came out on the toilet floor (luckily not on the carpet), and then that is where the fun began (not!) contractions were then coming every 2 mins. Hubby called the hospital to let them know my waters broke, mucous plug came out completely and contractions were coming thick and fast and every 2 mins. They were asking if they were definitely every 2 mins and if it was really painful, but I could hardly talk and they said to just come straight to the hospital. My mum met us at the hospital and they took me in straight away and hooked me up to be monitored and I was only 2cm dilated. I tried to take on what I learnt from my powerbirth yoga classes with breathing and visualisation techniques but the contractions were just coming on too fast and too strong. I ended up having an epidural, which didn't help, I could still feel the pain from the contractions. The midwife was worried because DJ wasn't having any time to recover from each contraction, and his heartrate was dropping. The midwife kept checking on me and seemed worried, because my blood pressure was dropping and DJ's heartrate was dropping. I was in so much pain, something I had never experienced before. The baby was in posterior position and I had a feeling that he wasn't in the right position for a natural childbirth. By the third time that his heartrate dropped, the midwife called the obstetrician who immediately asked for the c-section team to be called in for an emergency c-section to get bub out because he was too distressed. I never wanted a c-section, I wanted to experience childbirth naturally, it just goes to show that you can never plan your birth experience. Birth plans are good to have, but you have to be prepared for the 'what if' scenarios, because what you want is not always what will happen.

DJ was born at 2:52am on Thursday 13 March 2008 at 3.5kg and 53cm. He was only 2 hours and 52 mins past his due date which was 12 March.

I finally got to hold him after I had been taken out of recovery and it was the best experience ever, he totally bonded with me from day 1 which made me extremely happy. I was afraid that after having a c-section he wouldn't bond with me. On his first day, my friends and mother held him and he was crying and wouldn't stop, then they put him down with me and even being full of morphine and painkillers and not feeling 100% he totally bonded with me from day 1. So, yes having a baby is a wonderful experience, but childbirth isn't a pleasant experience, well I didn't have a pleasant experience anyway.....

I have a few pics of little DJ in my gallery and by the way DJ stands for Daniel Joseph

Cheers
    Shellxxx

Congratulations on the safe arrival of your little boy DJ.

Hope you are recovering well from your c/s

morgan78 Guest

Congrats on the arrival of DJ - lovely name - & fantastic news on the bonding.

Sorry that your birth wasn't quite as planned and hope that you recover quickly but hey there is always next time

Congratulations, Shell, on the birth of Daniel Joseph Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Congrats

congratulations and welcome to the world Daniel Joseph

What a fantastic day to be born. That was my 30th birthday!

Congratulations Shell!

Welcome little guy!

Congratulations Shell and welcome DJ

Welcome to DJ & I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Thanks everyone