Thread: (2nd timers)gravity position compared to back? was it better

Question (2nd timers)gravity position compared to back? was it better

Hi all

this is my second bubs due very soon first i was on my back and recived 2nd degree epesiotomi. wondering for all thoes 2nd timers if you did gravity position for birth and if it worked better? and if you still tore or got cut from gravity position...

also going second time round if you did something in your labour that was great that you didnt do 1st time round..
    cheers

chelleg Guest

I've only had one baby and therefore can't speak on a personal note, but we always encourage women to be on their hands and knees if they have had a nasty tear previously. This position can slow the birth of the baby's head down to prevent an explosive birth which is often associated with nasty tears.

Hi, I used the strategies in Active birth in my first labour and it was excellent. Fast labour pain not unbearable however I did have an epesiotomy as pushing stage was long due to a problem in my pelvis. On reflection after the birth my perinum was stretching well without the epi and I wish I hadn't given in to the dr impatience. I would definiatly recommend gravity over back and Active birth is a great book

I have a good article on birth positions, their advantages and disadvantages. If you want I could email it to you.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

I have given birth on my back both times, but next time I really want to use gravity as I tore with No 1 and had an episiotomy with No 2.

But by far the best thing I did was have a fantastic support person!

I birthed my first baby on my back and was determined not to repeat the experience. I tore and it was a lot of hard work.
    Unfortunately I tore as well during my second and third births but that could have been caused by a combination very quick births and the existing scar tissue not stretching. I believe the upright position made the birth physically easier though.

Default the article

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I have a good article on birth positions, their advantages and disadvantages. If you want I could email it to you.
    That would be excellent if you can email me that article
    cheers

I had to be on my back for my first pg as i had heaps of tubes & stuff hanging off me.
    I luckily didn't tear. But for my next one hopefully i'll be able to try something different. i have heard on hands & knees is good....but we'll see

Meganamin Guest

Hi, My first was on my back and I was cut to avoid tearing. (In Egypt thats just what they did). My second son was a water baby and I had no problems at all.. which I contribute to being in water and good midwife guidance. Tomorrow I will be induced with 3rd..hope I can get away without any epi, not sure if I will be able to get in the bath again if hooked up on the drip? We will see.. but I plan for an active labour..

Megan