Thread: 39 weeks 5 days - Bubs hasn't engaged

s361768 Guest

Default 39 weeks 5 days - Bubs hasn't engaged

I had a GP appointment today and was told that baby (no. 4 pregnancy) was not engaged yet, he was just above the brim and the doctor could feel just a small gap - the doctor thinks I have a bit of a wait, perhaps 4 or 5 days but she doesn't think it will happen today or tomorrow.

I am quite disheartened because I am so uncomfortable and have been having on and off BH and not to mention the runs (sorry TMI) and I just want to get things moving (grrr impatient)!!!

I didn't think bubs had to be engaged esp. since I have had 3 other children - I thought this could happen just before birth???

I think I was better off not knowing that bubs was not engaged and I am so dissapointed that the doctor thinks I have a wait ahead of me - I was so geared to give birth on his due date

Karen
    P.S sorry about the whinge

2nd and susequent (sp?) babies generally dont engage until established labour. Dont be disheartened...bub will be here before you know it..

DD2 would never engage either...she came 5 days post dates

Hang in there ..*hugs*

s361768 Guest

Hi Kimbaz,

Thank you for the encouragement

Karen

Yeah i wouldn't worry. Your pelvis has been stretched more than a first time mum's so baby can pop in and out of there easier. Not long to go now.

Out of my 4 babies only the second one was truly engaged before labour started. The other three all engaged once labour was established. It also doesn't mean that you have ages to wait either - once baby decides that they are ready to be born they are ready LOL. What position is bubs in BTW? If they are in a less-than-ideal position it can sometimes make it a bit harder for them to get inside the brim properly too. My 4th was still just above the brim at my last appointment and in a OP position - making it harder for him to get in there.

I agree, with PPs - just because bubs isn't engaged doesn't mean you have a long wait necessarily!
    Sending you lots of labour vibes!

I'm sure it's disappointing but I don't think you should read much into it. Lots of babies don't engage until labour .
    Also your estimated due date is just that - an estimate. Anywhere up to 42 weeks is normal.
    The last few weeks really drag so I hope that bubs is with you soon.

Don't lose heart! The runs is a great sign. I always have a nice spew, then it's ALL SYSTEMS GO!

I was told that with No 1 head engages before labour, and with no 2 onward head engages when you go into labour - mine were opposite.
    No 1 - head wasn't engaged before I went into labour
    No 2 - head was engaged 2 days before I went into labour
    so I don't think it is a real indication of when you will go into labour, everyone is different.

goodluck and hope it all goes well for you.

I totally kwim - S wasn't engaged at my last appt and I went into labour two days later (well, only really one and then started in the evening). I agree that the runs is a good sign. Good luck

s361768 Guest

I went to the hospital today and it was confirmed that baby was not engaged and I was 0.5c dilated but cervix was still high and long (I don't know what this means) and cervix also posterior (I don't know what this means either...I think I heard the ob correctly) regardless this is embarrassing this is bub no. 4 and I am still none the wiser hehe.

I am wondering whether this means a longer wait, they did say that I could go any time esp. being baby number 4. However my last was a week late. So I feel that I could be waiting. I know bubs will come in good time and obviously he is not ready to come yet... I am just so uncomfortable.

P.S. Bubs is on right side - with his back towards my tummy, his legs are curled around and are on other side - he likes to sit up in my ribs (I think this is good pos for birth - someone tell me, my first was posterior so that was agony)

Karen
    Last edited by s361768; January 31st, 2008 at 09:41 PM.

My daughter was only partly engaged when my waters broke. Sounds like you're pre-labour to me! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you (I don't know about all the cervical stuff either, I didn't have any vaginal exams before my labour started - bubs was born 38w4d)